1. A small group of caribou float past, riding an ice chunk in the Yukon River, near Circle, Alaska, on May 3, 2014.
2. Clouds clear away from Victoria Harbour after a rainstorm in Hong Kong on May 8, 2014.
3. Scottish country dancer Mairie McGillivray, 16, dances on the beach at Bridgend on the Hebridean island of Islay, on March 11, 2014 (photo released May 6). Mairie will vote "yes" in the upcoming Scottish independence referendum and said, "I believe that Scotland isn't governed by democratic means due to our lack of representation in Westminster and that we would be better off as an independent nation, both culturally and financially." When Scotland's nationalist government dropped the voting age to 16 for this year's referendum on independence, it was widely seen as banking on teenage radicalism to ensure a break with the United Kingdom. If so, it may have miscalculated. Two opinion polls and Reuters interviews with 25 Scottish teenagers in 10 different locations suggest the ruling Scottish National Party (SNP) can't be sure of their support in the Septenber 18 referendum.
4. Visitors stroll in a flower garden covered by over 800,000 Shibazakura, or Moss Phlox, in full bloom during the Fuji Shibazakura Festival at the foot of Mount Fuji in Fujikawaguchiko, Yamanashi prefecture, Japan, on on May 8, 2014.
5. A Chilean riot police officer trips and falls as he and his fellow officers run from a petrol bomb thrown by protesters in violent clashes, during a student march in Santiago, Chile, on May 8, 2014. Tens of thousands of students protested in Chile in the first march demanding education reform since President Michelle Bachelet took power on promises of deep changes.
6. Venezuelan artist Cristobal Ochoa (right) and his performance partner Jean-Paul Fowler promote the Artist Open Houses part of the Brighton Festival with street art performance "Los conos de madre" ("mother's cones"), on the seafront in Brighton, England, on May 6, 2014. Artists open their homes during the annual Brighton Festival, now in its 48th year, every weekend during May.
7. A woman walks through Brookfield Place off Bay Street, on the day of their annual general meeting for shareholders in Toronto, Ontario, on May 7, 2014.
8. A participant in the Mud Day event throws a bucket of mud at a friend during the Mud Day run in Beynes, west of Paris, on May 8, 2014. Thousands of runners seeking a challenge competed in a circuit of approximately 13 kilometers (8 miles) with over 20 obstacles, most of them set in mud.
9. A motorist rides to work past a decorated wall in Kuala Lumpur on May 6, 2014.
10. French coast guard rescuers assist a 23-year-old Afghan trying to cross the Channel on a makeshift raft using a bedsheet as a sail, on May 5, 2014 off Sangatte. The man, who had started developing hypothermia, "was first disappointed and then glad at being rescued," said Bernard Barron, the head of the coast rescue service in Calais.
11. Thousands of spider webs stretch across fields of grass at sunset on a farm in Nugee in the Victorian High Country, 147 kilometers (91 miles) southeast of Melbourne, Australia, on May 8, 2014.
12. An Israeli woman holds up an M-16 rifle during a traditional military weapon display to mark the 66th anniversary of Israel's Independence at the West Bank settlement of Efrat on May 6, 2014 near Bethlehem.
13. People walk on a highway damaged by Monday's earthquake in Chiang Rai, in northern Thailand, on May 6, 2014. Officials said that one person was killed and several dozen were hurt in the magnitude 6 earthquake that struck northern Thailand and Myanmar, smashing windows, cracking walls and roads and damaging Buddhist temples.
14. A paramilitary policeman crawls under fire obstacles during a drill at a military base in Chaohu, Anhui province, China, on May 5, 2014.
15. An airplane flies near mountains, as the sun rises in Rio de Janeiro on May 5, 2014.
16. A bouquet of flowers is placed atop the burnt out shell of a car where clashes between pro-Russian gunmen and the Ukrainian army took place, four kilometers (2.5 miles) north of Slovyansk, Ukraine, on May 7, 2014.
17. Details of the "Terracotta Daughters", a work of art by French visual artist Prune Nourry, exhibited at "Le Centquatre" art space in Paris until June 1, 2014. In the continuation of her "Holy Daughters" project in India, Prune now reflects upon gender preference in China and how it infiltrates local culture through the familiar symbol of the Terracotta Soldiers, by creating an army of 116 life-size Terracotta Daughters that will go on a world tour before returning to China in 2015, where they will be buried in a secret place that will be revealed in 2030. Photo taken on May 9, 2014.
18. Singer Conchita Wurst, representing Austria, performs the song "Rise Like a Phoenix" during a rehearsal for the second semifinal of the Eurovision Song Contest in the B&W Halls in Copenhagen, Denmark, on May 7, 2014. Conchita Wurst is also known by his birth-name Thomas Neuwirth. Challenging conceptions of masculine and feminine beauty, Wurst seems to have stolen the limelight ahead of the televised extravaganza, with a potential worldwide audience of some 170 million viewers.
19. A Buddhist monk and villagers examine a damaged Buddha statue following an earthquake in Chiang Rai province, northern Thailand, on May 6, 2014.
20. Police officers practice during a drill ahead of their peacekeeping assignment in Liberia, in Langfang, Hebei province, China, on May 4, 2014.
21. A saleswoman waits for customers at a shop in the Black Sea port of Odessa on May 8, 2014.
22. In southern Thailand, dense smoke billows from a ground at a police station parking lot after a bomb hidden in a car exploded in Hat Yai district in Songkhla province, on May 6, 2014. Police say bombs have exploded at the police station and a convenience store in Hat Yai, a tourist city in Thailand's violence-plagued south, injuring at least nine people.
23. Newly married brides wait for their photo to be taken on the landmark Charles Bridge in Prague on May 6, 2014.
24. Lords of Lightning perform during the Visualia Festival in the Adriatic town of Pula, Croatia, on May 4, 2014. Visualia Festival 2014 is a festival of audio-visual art with the objective of modernizing and presenting new technologies to citizens.
25. Japanese Shinto shrine priests hang the Shimenawa, Sacred ropes strung between God Married Stones, during the Oshimenawahari ceremony of Meoto-iwa or the Couple Rock at Futami Okitama Shrine on May 5, 2014 in Ise, Japan. The Oshimenawahari ceremony is held three times a year to replace the heavy rope of rice straw that connects the Couple Rock. The Couple Rock serves as a gate to the Okitama Shrine, dedicated to the god Sarutahiko and goddess Ukanomitama from Japanese myth.
26. An Israeli man watches water flooding through the Nahal Zin valley in the Arabah desert following heavy rainfall across Israel, including in the southern Israeli Negev desert area, on May 8, 2014.
27. People watch as Russia's Air Force strategic bombers, Tu-95, fly over Red Square during a rehearsal for the Victory Day military parade scheduled to take place in Moscow's Red Square on May 9 to celebrate 69 years since the victory in WWII, in Moscow, Russia, on May 7, 2014.
28. A man works in his shop selling traditional handmade copperware in Souq al-Safafeer in Najaf, Iraq, on May 9, 2014.
29. Jaclyn Linde of Madison, Wisconsin, lies in the sun before the 140th running of the Kentucky Derby horse race at Churchill Downs on May 3, 2014, in Louisville, Kentucky,
30. A lone house stands in the construction site of an urban transformation project in Fikirtepe, an Istanbul neighborhood in Turkey, on May 7, 2014. The house belongs to a family who has refused to give its approval for the demolition of the building, bringing the transformation project to a standstill. The owner of the house has demanded a new contract with further guarantees before signing an agreement with the construction firm behind the project, local media reported.
31. A participant takes part in the Bristol Park and Slide project, an interactive temporary installation by artist Luke Jerram set up in Park Street in the center of Bristol, England, on May 4, 2014. Over 95,000 people applied for just 360 tickets to slide on inflatable air mattresses down a lubricated water slide in a town center street.
32. Debris rises from a massive explosion in what Free Syrian Army fighters and Islamic rebels said was an operation to strike Al-Sahaba checkpoint, considered a gateway to Al-Dayf valley, and remove forces loyal to Syria's President Bashar Al-Assad in Maarat Al-Nouman, Idlib province, Syria, on May 5, 2014.
33. Zoo staff stand beside Mango, a 19-year-old Syrian brown bear, during preparations before his surgery at the Ramat Gan Safari near Tel Aviv, on May 7, 2014. Mango suffers from a slipped disk, impairing his mobility and causing pain and was set to undergo complicated and unprecedented surgery on his spine in the hope of improving his quality of life, a zoo spokesperson said.
34. The body of a police officer, left, lies outside a police station in Mariupol, eastern Ukraine, on May 9, 2014. Fighting between government forces and insurgents in Mariupol has left several people dead.
35. An Afghan survivor sits in front of his tent near the site of Friday's landslide that buried Abi-Barik village in Badakhshan province, northeastern Afghanistan, on May 6, 2014.