1. An aerial view shows decommissioned German-made Marder fighting vehicles in the compound of the Koch Battle Tank Dismantling firm in the eastern village of Rockensussra, some 300 km (186 mi) southwest of Berlin on May 6, 2014. Founded in 1991 the company specializes in dismantling former battle tanks and armored vehicles from the German armed forces and others from around the world.
2. A sub-Saharan migrant sits on top of a pole set in a metallic fence that divides Morocco and the Spanish enclave of Melilla, early in the morning on Wednesday, May 28, 2014. Several hundred African migrants charged a barbed-wire border fence in Spain's North African enclave of Melilla, with many managing to get across while dozens of others were beaten back by Moroccan and Spanish police. During the pre-dawn border storming, cries of pain and noises of people being hit could be heard as police from both sides tried to prevent dozens of the sub-Saharan migrants from entering the city from Morocco.
3. Smoke rises from the 998-ton fuel tanker Shoko Maru after it exploded off the coast of Himeji, western Japan, on May 29, 2014. The fuel tanker captain is missing and four crew members sustained severe injuries following the explosion aboard the vessel, Kyodo news reported.
4. He Liang rides his homemade suitcase vehicle along a street in Changsha, Hunan province, China, on May 28, 2014. He spent 10 years modifying the suitcase into a motor-driven vehicle. The suitcase has a top speed of up to 20km/h and the power capacity to travel up to 50-60km after one charge, according to local media.
5. Nine-year-old Audrey Bruben, of South River, New Jersey, gets a look from Genny, a 4,000 pound hippopotamus, as Adventure Aquarium opened a hippopotamus exhibit, "Hippo Haven," in Camden, New Jersey, on May 29, 2014.
6. Pope Francis touches the stones of the Western Wall, Judaism's holiest prayer site, in Jerusalem's Old City on May 26, 2014. Francis completed a tour of the Holy Land on Monday, paying homage to Jews killed in the Nazi Holocaust and looking to affirm Christian rights at a disputed place of worship in Jerusalem.
7. Climbers walk along the arch of the Sydney Harbour Bridge behind the Sydney Opera House on May 30, 2014 as they attempt to break the record for the most number of people on the arch of the famous bridge at the same time. The former record of 316 people, set in 2011, was broken when 340 people reached the top of the bridge on Friday during a charity event raising money for polio research.
8. A Bangladeshi man works at a factory that manufactures plastic mannequins in Dhaka, Bangladesh, on May 30, 2014. Workers at the factory earn less than US$5 a day.
9. Geena Lara (left) of the United States competes in the Women's 4x800 meter relay final during day two of the IAAF World Relays at the Thomas Robinson Stadium on May 25, 2014 in Nassau, Bahamas.
10. Underclassmen listen from the back of the stadium as President Barack Obama speaks at a commencement ceremony at the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York, on May 28, 2014.
11. This photo taken on Monday, May 26, 2014 and provided by Jill Helmuth, shows a tornado touching down before heading towards Watford City, North Dakota. Authorities say several were injured and more than a dozen trailers were damaged or destroyed when the twister tore through a camp where oil field workers stay.
12. Sub-Saharan migrants scale a metallic fence that divides Morocco and the Spanish enclave of Melilla, early in the morning on May 28, 2014. Several hundred African migrants charged the barbed-wire border fence in Spainísh North African enclave of Melilla with many managing to get across while dozens of others were beaten back by Moroccan and Spanish police.
13. Red fox kits play fight in a field at the edge of the woods in Parkman, Maine, on May 23, 2014.
14. The Funny River Fire in Alaska has consumed nearly 200,000 acres since May 19, tearing through dry and beetle-damaged forests on the Kenai Peninsula. Photographed onn May 25, 2014.
15. A resident and victim of the mud volcano disaster is covered in mud during a ceremony marking the eighth anniversary of the disaster in Sidoarjo district located in Indonesia's eastern Java island, on May 29, 2014. Lusi, located in the Sidoarjo district of the island of Java, erupted on May 29, 2006 in the middle of a ricefield, in a disaster that displaced some 50,000 people.
16. A beetle crosses the the launch pad as a Russian Soyuz-FG booster rocket with the space capsule Soyuz TMA-13M, that will carry new crew to the International Space Station (ISS), is being fixed after it was pulled from a hangar at the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan, on May 26, 2014.
17. Russia's Soyuz TMA-13M spacecraft carrying the ISS crew of European Space Agency's German astronaut Alexander Gerst, Russian cosmonaut Maxim Suraev and NASA astronaut Gregory Wiseman blasts off from the launch pad at Baikonur Cosmodrome on May 29, 2014.
18. A man trims his mustache outside the door of his home at an old residential area in Chaohu, Anhui province, China, on May 23, 2014.
19. Two men paddle in a canoe on a flooded road in Trysil, Norway, on May 26, 2014. Rain and melted snow have increased the water level in the river Trysilelva.
20. A football goal in the Tavares Bastos slum in Rio de Janeiro. The 2014 World Cup will be held in Brazil from June 12 through July 13. In Brazil, soccer goalposts can be found almost anywhere, from slums to sandy beaches. Amateur players employ anything from scraps of wood nailed together, to rusting pieces of metal to play a game.
21. A South Sudanese child displaced by the fighting in Malakal, and suffering from malnutrition, cries as he is washed by a nurse at a feeding center run by Medicins sans Frontiers (MSF) in Kodok, Fashoda county, on May 28, 2014.
22. Emergency teams extinguish flames following a reported barrel-bomb attack on the northern Syrian city of Aleppo on May 26, 2014.
23. Speller Jennifer Tenant of Hollywood, Maryland, during round two of the 2014 Scripps National Spelling Bee competition in National Harbor, Maryland, on May 28, 2014.
24. A man works on a "Batmobile" replica on the outskirts of Shanghai, on May 30, 2014. Li Weilei, the owner of the replica and a local businessman, uses his spare time and money to build replicas like the "Batmobile", Formula One cars and "Transformers" for rent or sale. Li spent around 75,000 yuan ($12,000) to build the model.
25. Israeli soldiers detain a protester during a demonstration by Palestinians protesting against the Israeli-built West Bank separation barrier and calling for the right of return for Palestinian refugees, in the northern West Bank city of Tulkarem, on May 31, 2014.
26. Men look through a hole in front of a building in Tokyo on May 28, 2014.
27. Air Force Academy graduates throw their caps into the air as F-16 jets from the Thunderbirds make a flyover, at the completion of the graduation ceremony for the class of 2014, at the U.S. Air Force Academy, in Colorado, on May 28, 2014.
28. A young vendor holds a pair of fish to his face as he jokingly poses for a photo at the Panair fish market in Manaus, Brazil, on May 24, 2014.
29. Flying instructor David Schnaible teaches wind tunnel flying to nine-year-old Liam Harrison at the iFly indoor skydiving facility in Rosemont, Illinois, on May 29, 2014. Guests at the facility are introduced to the sensation of free-fall skydiving as they are lifted into the air by fans which generate an upward draft from 80 to 175 miles per hour inside a 14-foot-wide circular chamber.
30. Tommy Robredo of Spain returns a shot during his men's singles tennis match against John Isner of the United States on day six of the French Open at Roland Garros in Paris, France, on May 30, 2014.
31. Glaziers from MTH Industries replace a layer of protective coating over the glass surface on the floor of one of four transparent ledges that jut out from the 103rd floor of the Willis Tower in Chicago on May 29, 2014. The see-through glass bays known as The Ledge were designed with a protective coating that completely covers all glass surfaces to protect against scratches. One of the coatings cracked Wednesday night when a family was standing on it. Officials say the family wasn't in danger and the coating does not affect the structural integrity of the enclosure.
32. A man from the Puel tribe holds a bow and arrows as he runs after his cattle outside Bambari, Central African Republic, on May 30, 2014. Puel cattle herder tribes are Muslims and are often attacked by Anti-Balaka Christian militia.
33. Chad Lambert reacts as he has a tattoo of his ex-wife's name removed from his chest with a laser by Jill France at her "What Were You Inking" clinic in downtown Denver. France does pro bono tattoo removal for Colorado Department of Corrections ex-convict clients like Lambert who is enrolled in the Peer 1 Therapeutic Community.
34. A Kashmiri woman prays while holding a child in her lap as an unseen custodian displays a holy relic believed to be a hair from the Prophet Muhammad's beard during the last Friday of celebrations for Miraj-Ul-Alam (Ascension to Heaven) at Kashmir's main Hazratbal Shrine in Srinagar on May 30, 2014.
35. Carlos Lucas kicks a ball along a dirt road in the Santa Luzia favela, in Brasilia, Brazil, on May 30, 2014. The 2014 Brazil World Cup is set to begin in just a few weeks, with Brazil and Croatia competing in the opening match on June 12.