1. British World War II veteran Frederick Glover watches as soldiers parachute down during a D-Day commemoration event in Ranville, western France, on June 5, 2014 -- a day before the 70th anniversary of the World War II Allied landings in Normandy.
2. Britain's Red Arrows aerobatic team performs during D-Day commemorations in Portsmouth in southern England on June 5, 2014.
3. An attendee arrives at the Council of Fashion Designers of America Awards at Lincoln Center in New York, on June 2, 2014.
4. German street artist Florian Timm creates giant soap bubbles on Ipanema beach in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on June 4, 2014.
5. A lion cub nuzzles up to its mother, 4-year-old Kashifa, while she keeps an eye on her five cubs on June 5, 2014. Zoo Miami, officially introducing the family to the public, said that Kashifa gave birth to her second litter of cubs March 6, one female and three males.
6. Former first lady of the United States Nancy Reagan visits the grave site of her husband, former United States President Ronald Wilson Reagan, at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library on the 10th anniversary of his passing, in Simi Valley, California, on June 5, 2014.
7. The sky turns pink as a rainbow appears at dusk over the suburbs during a thunderstorm in Atlanta on June 5, 2014.
8. A young girl shoots an arrow at a drawing of President Barack Obama during an event to mark International Children's Day at Pyongyang September 15 Nursery in Pyongyang, North Korea, on June 1, 2014.
9. French street artist and photographer JR poses on his creation during a presentation at the Pantheon in Paris, on June 3, 2014. The French government named JR to decorate Paris' Pantheon, the final resting place of dozens of distinguished French citizens, as it undergoes a renovation project.
10. A stranded seal pup is carried to a pool at the seal station in Friedrichskook, Germany on June 6, 2014. The seal pup was found on May 28, 2014 on the German island Sylt and was named Anja after the lady who found her. She currently weighs 7.6 kg and will be released into the wild once she has reached a weight of 25 kg.
11. Chinese Paramilitary police officers salute each other as they stand guard below a portrait of the late leader Mao Zedong in Tiananmen Square on June 4, 2014 in Beijing, China. Twenty-five years ago on June 4, 1989, Chinese troops cracked down on pro-democracy protesters and in the clashes that followed scores were killed and injured.
12. Sin Wai-keung, 52, newspaper editor and former news photographer, poses in front of a projection of a photograph he took in Beijing in 1989. Sin's photo shows a man standing in front of a column of tanks in Beijing on the morning of June 5, 1989. Recalling the moment he took the photo, Sin said, "Most important, it got photographed. I didn't think about the danger, or whether it would become an iconic image, as the news was still going on." Sin further said, "I believe there will be more important images on June 4th to surface in the future which fully describe the event."
13. Tens of thousands of people participate in a candlelight vigil at Hong Kong's Victoria Park June 4, 2014, to mark the 25th anniversary of the military crackdown of the pro-democracy movement at Beijing's Tiananmen Square in 1989.
14. A Nepalese student hugs a tree during a mass tree hugging on World Environment Day on the outskirts of Kathmandu, Nepal, on June 5, 2014. More than 2,000 people gathered in Nepal's capital on Thursday in a bid to set a world record for the largest tree hug.
15. The old church of Geamana village, partially submerged by polluted water tainted with cyanide and other chemicals, near Rosia Montana, Romania, in a March 24, 2014 photo released on June 3. Romania's lower house rejected a bill that would have enabled Canada's Gabriel Resources to set up Europe's biggest open-cast gold mine in the small Carpathian town of Rosia Montana, putting the project on hold indefinitely. The bill drew thousands of anti-mine protesters into the streets across the European Union state last year, prompting the senate to strike it down. The sight of a nearby tailings pond that is the product of a decades-old industrial project, has been used by protesters to highlight fears about the potential fallout of the gold mine. State-owned copper miner Cupru Min started that pond in the 1970s under the communist regime when it poured polluted water tainted with cyanide and other chemicals that result from copper extraction over the village of Geamana, not far from Rosia Montana in Alba county.
16. A Femen activist is arrested after she protested against the G7 summit in front of the European Council building in Brussels on June 4, 2014.
17. A Pakistani worker looks on while building a ship, known as Lenj, on the southern Persian Gulf island of Qeshm in Iran. This workshop in northern coast of Qeshm Island, Persian Gulf, has kept a three thousand years of father-passed-son traditional of hand-built boats, known as Lenj, alive despite growing economic hurdles and takeover of modern technologies. Photo taken on April 23, 2014, released June 4.
18. A view of the cable-car system that links the city center of La Paz with its neighbor El Alto, Bolivia, on June 2, 2014. It is the world's highest cable-car system, which will eventually run for 10 km and be able to transport thousands of passengers, some 4 thousand meters above sea level.
19. A visitor dips his body inside a pail with hot spring water in Hulu Langat, near Kuala Lumpur on June 6, 2014. A hot spring is a pool of hot water produced from the reaction of sulfur in the soil and is believed to provide benefits for some individuals suffering from skin diseases or physical disabilities.
20. U.S. Congressman Louie Gohmert speaks with three girls covered by sheets at a news conference in Lagos, Nigeria, on June 5, 2014, speaking out about recent abductions by militant group Boko Haram. The girls had escaped their captors after they were abducted in the remote village of Chibok. They were covered in white sheets to protect their identities for fear of repercussions.
21. One of two kittens trapped in a car in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, on June 5, 2014. Firefighters found one trapped in the undercarriage of the vehicle and the other in the engine area. They were returned unharmed to their owner.
22. Britain's Queen Elizabeth delivers a speech in the House of Lords, during the State Opening of Parliament at the Palace of Westminster in London June 4, 2014.
23. An Indian peacock spreads its tail feathers at a zoo in Tbilisi, on June 5, 2014.
24. Vandalized prehistoric rock art, pictured at Tadrart Acacus, in Ghat, Libya, on May 30, 2014. Vandals have destroyed prehistoric rock art in lawless southern Libya, endangering a sprawling tableau of paintings and carvings classified by UNESCO as of "outstanding universal value". Located along Libya's southwestern tip bordering Algeria, the Tadrart Acacus mountain massif is famous for thousands of cave paintings and carvings going back up to 14,000 years.
25. Participants paddle dragon boats during a competition amid heavy rainfall to celebrate the Dragon Boat Festival in Tongren, Guizhou province, China, on June 2, 2014. The festival is commemorated in memory of Chinese patriotic poet Qu Yuan, who drowned himself on the day in 277 B.C.
26. A pile of mud pours into a living room in Krupanj, west of Belgrade. The Balkans were hit by the worst floods in living memory last month, and the death toll has climbed gradually as more victims are found, reaching some 65 in total in Serbia and Bosnia. As the waters retreat, a wave of solidarity has given way to questions about the readiness and response of authorities to the heaviest rainfall in the region in over a century. Serbians and Bosnians are asking if so many had to die.
27. A man works on the decoration of a street for the upcoming World Cup in Brasilia, on June 1, 2014.
28. German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen arrives for a news conference about making the German military more attractive, in Berlin on June 4, 2014.
29. A rebel fighter fires his weapon towards forces loyal to Syria's President Bashar al-Assad who are stationed in Wadi al-Deif military camp in Idlib province, Syria, on June 1, 2014.
30. A newly released Hubble image shows NGC 1566, a beautiful galaxy located approximately 40 million light-years away in the constellation of Dorado (The Dolphinfish). NGC 1566 is an intermediate spiral galaxy, meaning that while it does not have a well defined bar-shaped region of stars at its center, it is not quite an unbarred spiral either.
31. The exterior siding of home, damaged by a heavy hailstorm in Blair, Nebraska, on June 4, 2014. Blair and other cities were pounded by large hail as wave after wave of powerful thunderstorms moved through the midwest.
32. Participants arrive at the "Victorian Picnic" during the Wave Gothic Festival in Leipzig, Germany, on June 6, 2014. About 20,000 members of the Gothic scene from all over the world were expected to attend the 23rd edition of the festival.
33. A North Korean soldier uses her mobile phone next to a sentry shack on the banks of the Yalu River, near the North Korean town of Sinuiju, opposite the Chinese border city of Dandong, on June 1, 2014.
34. A couple enjoys the night on Ipanema beach in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on June 4, 2014.
35. Elizabeth (not her real name, to protect her identity), 21, poses inside her bedroom before leaving home to join others in a Black Bloc group to a protest against the FIFA world Cup in a slum in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Elizabeth lives with her father, after her mother's death, and works as lab technician at a hospital earning 1,100 reais (482 USD) per month.