1. A Brazilian football fan plays with a soccer ball on a beach in Rio de Janeiro on June 8, 2014. The 2014 World Cup starts on Thursday, June 12.
2. An aerial view of the Maracana stadium behind the Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro, on May 13, 2014.
3. Two children walk along a street decorated in the Brazilian national colors in Rocinha favela in Rio de Janeiro on June 9, 2014.
4. A policeman observes a screen displaying Maracana stadium during a media tour at the security center for the 2014 soccer World Cup in Rio de Janeiro on January 22, 2014.
5. A demonstrator shouts slogans against FIFA during a protest against the 2014 FIFA World Cup, at a bus station in Brasilia, Brazil, on May 27, 2014. Brazilians are protesting against the huge amounts of money spent by the government on the upcoming World Cup.
6. Workers stand on scaffolding outside Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro on June 6, 2014.
7. A supporter from Colombia kisses a replica of the World Cup with Rio de Janeiro in the background, on top of Sugarloaf Mountain on June 9, 2014.
8. Members of the Brazilian Army, Navy and Air Force attend a presentation of defense and security personnel and equipment that will be used during the 2014 World Cup in Brasilia on June 8, 2014.
9. Members of the Brazilian Army, Navy and Air Force stand at attention during a presentation in Brasilia on June 8, 2014.
10. Members of the the Civil Police's Core (Coordination of Special Assets) unit train in a mock favela set up in Rio de Janeiro on December 3, 2013.
11. A Brazilian Navy sniper participates in a mock hostage rescue drill in Rio de Janeiro on May 27, 2013.
12. Brazilian Army soldiers take part in a simulated explosion of a radioactive device during a safety drill outside Mane Garrincha National Stadium in Brasilia, on June 9, 2014, ahead of the FIFA World Cup.
13. Rescue workers in chemical protective gear, aid a man playing the role of a victim during a simulation of an attack in the subway, as part of the 2014 World Cup preparations, in Rio de Janeiro, on May 31, 2014.
14. Firefighters and soldiers conduct a chemical contamination simulated training exercise, in preparation for the FIFA soccer World Cup, in front of the National Stadium in Brasilia on June 9, 2014.
15. Laborers work on the construction of the Arena de Sao Paulo Stadium, one of the venues for the 2014 World Cup, in the Sao Paulo district of Itaquera, on March 15, 2014.
16. An aerial view of Estadio das Dunas on November 14, 2013 in Natal, Brazil.
17. Workers put tiles on a wall at the Tancredo Neves International Airport, ahead of the 2014 World Cup in Belo Horizonte, Brazil, on June 9, 2014.
18. Aerial view of Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro on June 8, 2014.
19. Employees make stuffed toys of Fuleco the Armadillo, the official mascot of the FIFA 2014 World Cup, at a factory in Tianchang, Anhui province, China, on January 6, 2014.
20. An employee adjusts outer panels on a soccer ball inside the soccer ball factory that produces official match balls for 2014 World Cup in Brazil, in Sialkot, Punjab province, Pakistan, on May 16, 2014. When Pakistani factory owner Khawaja Akhtar felt the roar of the crowd at the 2006 World Cup in Germany he set a goal of his own: to manufacture the ball for the biggest soccer tournament on the planet. Last year he finally got his chance - but only 33 days to make it happen.
21. Belgian entrepreneurs Fabio Lavalle (left) and David Dos Santos pose with the "diabolica" trumpet in Mons, Belgium, on May 16, 2014. Ear-splitting vuvuzelas were an ever-present backdrop to the 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa. Four years on, two Belgian entrepreneurs hope to fill stadiums in Brazil with the high-pitched noise from plastic trumpets dubbed "diabolica".
22. A man exchanges stickers for the official 2014 FIFA World Cup sticker album at Azteca Stadium in Mexico City June 7, 2014. Italian publishing company Panini has issued the sticker album for every World Cup since the 1970 tournament in Mexico, and hundreds showed up on Saturday for the chance to fill their 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil editions, local media reported.
23. Brazilian soccer fan Marilza Guimaraes da Silva, 63, plays with a ball, dressed in one of her many outfits matching the colors of the Brazil's national flag at her home in Brasilia on May 27, 2014.
24. Cintya Mello laughs as she stands among large puppets in the likeness of soccer players during a break in a campaign against hepatitis parade featuring puppets of soccer stars and other celebrities on June 8, 2014 in Rio de Janeiro.
25. Brazilian sex workers Cida Vieira (left) and Cida da Silva, both members of the Association of Prostitutes of Minas Gerais, listen to teacher Igor Fuchs during an English class in Belo Horizonte on May 12, 2014. A group of sex workers are taking English classes once a week in preparation for the World Cup. They hope these lessons will help them communicate better with soccer fans coming to Brazil who might use their services. During the classes, they not only learn basic vocabulary like the days of the week, but also sexual words and phrases that they use on the job.
26. A worker helps construct a hotel with rooms to be available for tourists in time for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in the Cantagalo favela in Rio de Janeiro on May 1, 2014. A shortage of hotel beds in Rio has led to demand for alternative housing around the city and many tourists will opt to stay in some of Rio's slums in order to save money.
27. Activist Sara Winter poses for the picture during her anti-World Cup protest on Rio de Janeiro's Ipanema beach, on June 9, 2014. Written on her body is the phrase "While your team is relaxing, Brazilians are dying". Winter walks the beach talking to foreign tourists telling them that Brazilians are suffering from neglect.
28. Military/security staff shelter from the sun in the shadow of a stadium wall as they watch the Netherlands training session at the 2014 FIFA World Cup, held at the Estadio Jose Bastos Padilha Gavea on June 8, 2014 in Rio de Janeiro.
29. An aerial view of England's national soccer team training session in progress at the Urca military base near Copacabana Beach on June 9, 2014 in Rio de Janeiro.
30. A military police officer takes position during an operation in the Mare slum complex, ahead of its "pacification," in Rio de Janeiro on March 25, 2014. Elite federal police and army troops have been sent to the city to help quell a wave of violence in so-called "pacified" slums. Recent attacks on police bases in the favelas is raising concerns about an ambitious security program that began in 2008, in part to secure the city ahead of this year's World Cup and the 2016 Olympics.
31. A hot air balloon in the likeness of Brazil's Christ The Redeemer statute, wearing the colors of Australia's soccer team, floats through clouds over the Melbourne, Australia, skyline on June 10, 2014.
32. An Indian artist gives the finishing touches to clay models of football players inside a workshop prior to delivery to a local football club in Kolkata on June 10, 2014. Football fans in the eastern Indian city are gearing up for the upcoming Brazil FIFA World Cup 2014 and decorating their clubs with football-related paraphernalia.
33. Otter "Arashi" acting as goalkeeper, saves a soccer ball hurled by a sea lion, left, during a show at Aburatsubo Marine Park in Miura, near Tokyo, Japan, on June 7, 2014. The aquarium began staging the event on Saturday, during the 2014 World Cup soccer tournament in Brazil.
34. A demonstrator wearing a jacket that reads "FIFA Go Home" spreads her arms open during a protest against the 2014 World Cup, in Sao Paulo, on March 13, 2014. An estimated 1,500 protesters gathered to march the streets of downtown Sao Paulo to show they are against the World Cup and against the costs associated with Brazil's hosting the sporting event.
35. An Indigenous protester in traditional headdress prepares to fire an arrow against military police during a protest against the FIFA World Cup outside the National Stadium in Brasilia, Brazil, on May 27, 2014. Protesters in traditional headdress squared off against Brazilian police mounted on horses in the nation's capital, just outside a new soccer stadium that will host World Cup matches.
36. People play soccer on Ipanema beach in Rio de Janeiro on June 4, 2014.
37. Ivory Coast's national football team goalkeeper Boubacar Barry stretches on the crossbar as he takes part in a team training session at Aguas de Lindoia on June 9, 2014, ahead of the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil.
38. Caique wears a Brazilian national soccer jersey in Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro, on June 8, 2014.
39. Chile soccer fan Cristian Uribarri holds up his replica of the World Cup trophy as he decides whether he should take it and where to put it in his trailer, which he built from scratch, as he packs for the next day's journey with four friends to Brazil from Santiago, Chile, on June 5, 2014. The shiny contraption they call their "Lunar Vehicle" has air conditioning, a stove, an LCD TV, a Playstation and a queen-sized mattress. Using the mini-home on wheels will save them on lodging and meals.
40. A boy controls the ball as he practices on Ipanema beach in Rio de Janeiro, on May 7, 2014.