1. In this May 29, 2014, photo, self-taught horse trainer Martin Tata kisses his horse Milonga as he performs a demonstration for The Associated Press on a ranch in San Antonio de Areco, Argentina. There is no whip in sight, no shouting or loud jabs. Not even a firm hand on the reins. And yet Martin Tatta somehow persuades his beloved Milonga to join him in acrobatic feats, from handstands to other poses that even the most understanding horses rarely display.
2. A pangolin carries its baby at a Bali zoo, Indonesia,on June 19, 2014. The pangolin baby was born on May 31.
3. (1 of 2) Cormorant master, Mr. Masahiko Sugiyama uses sea cormorants to catch sweetfish on July 2, 2014 in Gifu, Japan. In this traditional fishing art "ukai," a cormorant master called "usho" manages cormorants to capture ayu or sweetfish.
4. (2 of 2) Sea cormorants are illuminated by fire as they work to catch sweetfish on July 2, 2014 in Gifu, Japan. The ushos of River Nagara have been the official staff of the Imperial Household Agency of Japan since 1890. Currently six imperial fishermen of Nagara River conduct special fishing to contribute to the Imperial family eight times a year, on top of daily fishing from mid-May to mid-October.
5. Camelot, with rider Kris Anderson, wins an exhibition race billed as "The Cameltonian" at the Meadowlands Race Track in East Rutherford, New Jersey, on June 21, 2014. Run by Hedrick's Promotions in Nickerson, Kansas, this is the third year the race has been run at the track, in tandem with an ostrich race.
6. Members of the Humane Society of the United States and the Humane Society of Charlotte assisted Rutherford County, North Carolina, Sheriff's Office during the 20th puppy mill bust in three years in the state of North Carolina, on June 12, 2014 at an undisclosed location in Rutherford County.
7. A baby Poison Dart frog, photographed at the London Aquarium in London, on June 17, 2014. The London Aquarium unveiled their recently born baby Poison Dart frog, an endangered species and the first ever to be born there, following a successful breeding program.
8. People look on as a dummy "visitor" falls into the enclosure of brown bears during a security drill to test the capability of emergency handling at a zoo in Chengdu, Sichuan province, China, on June 19, 2014.
9. Two brown bears attack a "visitor" dummy made of straw, during a security drill to test the capability of emergency handling at a zoo in Chengdu, Sichuan province, on June 19, 2014.
10. A resident feeds a cherry to an orphaned juvenile squirrel in New Delhi on June 23, 2014. The squirrel was rescued from a tree which fell during a recent thunderstorm in the city.
11. A Sri Lankan freshwater fish street vendor waits for customers beside his auto rickshaw with fish in plastic bags hanging from it in Colombo, on June 17, 2014.
12. A close view of a horse after a race during day two of Royal Ascot at Ascot Racecourse on June 18, 2014 in Ascot, England.
13. Janet Schoen from Germany prepares a Bichon Frise prior to judging in the 3rd National and International Dog Grooming Championships on June 14, 2014 in Erfurt, Germany.
14. The skeletons of a family of Palaeoloxodon naumanni, male (R), female (L), baby (C), after being restored and displayed to the press for the upcoming special exhibition prehistoric mammals at the National Museum of Nature and Science in Tokyo's Ueno Park on July 3, 2014.
15. An autistic child sits on a horse during the Horse Therapy Special Children program at the Mounted Police Sub-Division in Bangkok, on June 17, 2014. The program aims to help children with autism and other physical problems develop brain and body coordination and to adapt to their family and community.
16. Part of the Getty Images Pet Drive 2014, "Pilaf", photographed at New York Animal Care And Control on June 25, 2014 in New York City.
17. A rider spears a suspended ring with a lance as he races through a cheering crowd during the traditional Fiesta of San Joan (Saint John) in downtown Ciutadella, on the Spanish Balearic Island of Menorca, on June 24, 2014.
18. Spanish bullfighter Jimenez Fortes, top second left, kills a Los Chospes ranch fighting bull after being tossed by the bull during a bullfight at Las Ventas bullring in Madrid, Spain, on May 20, 2014.
19. A spider hangs in its web as the sun sets in Kreuth, Germany, on June 1, 2014.
20. Ship's mascot Hector looks for divers returning from the wreck of a German WWI warship at Scapa Flow in the Orkney Islands, Scotland, on May 7, 2014. During both World Wars, Scapa Flow was an important British naval base, and the site of significant loss of life. Following the end of World War One, 74 German warships were interned there, and on June 21, 1919 most were deliberately sunk, or scuttled, at the orders of German Rear Admiral Ludwig Von Reuter, who mistakenly thought that the Armistice had broken down and wanted to prevent the British from using the ships.
21. Amazon Chairman and CEO Jeff Bezos samples cooked cockroach at the 110th Explorers Club Annual Dinner at the Waldorf Astoria in New York, on March 15, 2014. The club, which promotes the scientific exploration of land, sea, air and space featured catering by chef and exotic creator Gene Rurka. Chef Rurka prepared a variety of dishes featuring an array of insects, wildlife, animal body parts and invasive species.
22. Goats graze on grass in front of a damaged building in the Aleppo countryside in war-torn Syria, on May 31, 2014.
23. A youth attempts to pull the head off of a rooster while riding a horse during celebrations in honor of San Juan Bautista in the town of San Juan de Oriente, on June 26, 2014. Despite an Animal Welfare law approved in 2010 the killing and injuring of animals continues to happen during popular festivals in Nicaragua.
24. Michael Ruggieri, Flamingo Garden's director of animal care, talks to a Muntjac deer in his Davie, Florida, office, on April 24, 2014. The deer was sent to Flamingo Gardens after Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission officers discovered the deer, of a species they had never seen before, barely the size of a small dog, wandering around the streets of Oakland Park. The deer was a recently acquired pet that escaped when construction at an adjacent house knocked down a fence. The owner didn't have the required permit for the deer, so the officers took it to the sanctuary.
25. (1 of 2) A black bear walks through a residential street in Daytona Beach, Florida on May 30, 2014.
26. (2 of 2) A black bear lies on a hammock in a residential back yard in Daytona Beach, Florida, on May 30, 2014. The bear used the hammock for more than 15 minutes before being startled when the back yard lights were turned on according to the photographer.
27. Indian members of the forest elephant squad treat an injured male wild elephant in the Taipu forest under Kurseong division, some 25 km from Siliguri on July 1, 2014. Indian forest wildlife squad located the injured elephant and were able to tranquilize and successfully treat it, a forest official said.
28. A caretaker takes care of a 12-year-old bedridden female dog at a home for aging pets, where a vet is on call 24 hours a day and animals are kept active with a range of exercises and healthy foods, in Chiba, suburb of Tokyo, Japan, on July 2, 2014. In greying Japan, the life expectancy of cats and dogs is lengthening with their owners and producing the same health problems it does in humans -- senility, diabetes and arthritis.
29. Vendors prepare slaughtered dogs for sale on the eve of the June 21st Yulin dog meat festival. An estimated 10 million dogs are eaten each year in China. About 10,000 of these used to be slaughtered for the Yulin dog meat festival. This year far fewer died because animal welfare activists from across China arrived to protest and rescue as many animals as they could.
30. Hugo, a 63-year-old Galapagos Tortoise, is enticed out of his enclosure with a carrot fed to him by a keeper before his annual weighing at the Australian Reptile Park in Somersby near Sydney, on July 1, 2014. Once a year Hugo's massive body is carried by four men and a forklift to an industrial scale to assess his health and at 166 kilograms (366 lbs), he weighs one kilogram more than last year. The life expectancy of a Galapagos Tortoise is up to 180 years.
31. A cow walks through water in front of the submerged church of Saint Nicholas in Mavrovo Lake, some 100 km west from Skopje on June 14, 2014. The church of St Nicholas was intentionally flooded in 1957 during the creation of an artificial lake designed to supply water to a local power plant.
32. A lion cub nuzzles up to its mother, 4 1/2-year-old Kashifa, while she keeps an eye on her five cubs, on June 5, 2014, as Zoo Miami officially introduced the family to the public, in Miami. Kashifa gave birth to her second litter of cubs March 6, one female and three males.