1. Smoke and flames are seen following what police said was an Israeli air strike in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip on July 8, 2014. Israel bombarded dozens of targets in the Gaza Strip on Tuesday, stepping up what it said might become a long-term offensive against Islamist Hamas after a surge in Palestinian rocket attacks on Israeli towns. This latest round of attacks follows a series of kidnapping, killings and reprisals involving teenagers in Gaza ans Israel.
2. Smoke trails, after missiles were fired by Palestinian militants from Gaza City towards southern Israel on July 9, 2014.
3. Part of the Iron Dome air-defense system fires to intercept a rocket over the city of Ashdod on July 8, 2014, in Ashdod, Israel.
4. An Israeli tank moves into position on the Israel-Gaza Border on July 8, 2014. The Israeli military launched a major offensive in the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip on Tuesday, striking more than 100 sites and mobilizing troops for a possible ground invasion in what Israel says is an operation aimed at stopping a heavy barrage of rocket attacks from the Palestinian territory.
5. A picture taken from the southern Israeli border with the Gaza Strip shows smoke billowing after an Israeli air strike in the Palestinian coastal enclave, on July 8, 2014.
6. An Israeli Apache helicopter shoots a missile over the Gaza Strip as seen from Israel's border with Gaza on July 8, 2014.
7. An Israeli airstrike on Gaza International Airport in Rafah, southern Gaza, on July 7, 2014.
8. Palestinians bring a wounded man to a hospital in Gaza City on July 8, 2014.
9. A Palestinian boy carries his belongings as he walks past the rubble of his family's house which police said was destroyed in an Israeli air strike in Gaza City on July 9, 2014.
10. A Palestinian paramedic shows the remains of four people from the same family after their home was targeted during an Israeli air strike on July 8, 2014, in the Gaza strip town of Khan Yunis. A missile slammed into a house in the southern city of Khan Yunis killing seven people, among them two teenagers, and wounding 25, emergency services spokesman Ashraf al-Qudra told AFP. Witnesses said an Israeli drone fired a warning flare, prompting relatives and neighbors to gather at the house as a human shield. But shortly afterwards, an F-16 warplane fired a missile that leveled the building.
11. Palestinian relatives of Mohammed Shaaban, a commander in Hamas' armed wing, mourn during his funeral in Jabaliya in the northern Gaza Strip on July 8, 2014. Israel bombarded the Gaza Strip on Tuesday, stepping up what threatens to become a long-term offensive against Islamist group Hamas after scores of rockets hit Israeli towns. The attacks killed at least six people in a house, the Palestinian Interior Ministry said. Four others died in a car struck in Gaza City, medical officials said, one of whom a pro-Hamas website identified as Shaaban.
12. Israeli police officers take cover during an infiltration by Hamas gunmen near Kibbutz Zikim, outside the northern Gaza Strip, on July 8, 2014. In a bold infiltration, five gunmen from Hamas landed on the shore near Zikim, where a kibbutz and an army base are located, just over the border from Gaza. Israel's army said it shot them dead.
13. Israelis watch smoke rising from an Israeli strike on Gaza, seen from the Israel-Gaza Border, on July 8, 2014.
14. An Iron Dome launcher fires an interceptor rocket in the southern Israeli city of Ashdod on July 8, 2014.
15. Israeli police and border police stand near the remains of a rocket fired from Gaza after it landed near Jerusalem on July 8, 2014. Israel said it knew of no casualties from a long-range Palestinian rocket salvo on Tuesday that Hamas said targeted cities including central Tel Aviv and Jerusalem, as well as Haifa in the north.
16. Israeli riot police stand in front of Palestinian protesters (unseen) during clashes in Shuafat, East Jerusalem on July 7, 2014. Clashes sparked by the abduction and murder of Mohammed Abu Khder spread from east Jerusalem to Arab towns inside Israel, as autopsy reports showed he was burned alive.
17. A ball of fire erupts following an Israeli air strike in Rafah, in the southern Gaza Strip, on July 9, 2014.
18. An Israeli soldier performs a morning prayer in a deployment area near Israel's border with the Gaza Strip on July 8, 2014.
19. A Palestinian girl views the damage done to her family house following an overnight Israeli airstrike in Gaza City on July 8, 2014.
20. An Israeli soldier covers his head with a camouflage net protect from mosquitoes at a gathering area near the Israel-Gaza Border on July 8, 2014.
21. An Israeli missile hits smuggling tunnels between Egypt and the Gaza Strip, in Rafah, southern Gaza Strip, on July 9, 2014.
22. A rocket is launched from the Gaza strip into Israel on July 8, 2014.
23. Drivers take cover beside their cars on a highway as an air raid siren, warning of incoming rockets, sounds in Tel Aviv on July 9, 2014. At least two rockets fired from the Gaza Strip at Tel Aviv were shot down mid-air by Israel's Iron Dome defense system, the Israeli military said.
24. An Iron Dome missile flies to intercept a rocket on July 8, 2014, in Ashdod, Israel.
25. Beach-goers run for cover as air raid sirens, warning of incoming rockets, sound in Tel Aviv on July 8, 2014.
26. An Israeli fire fighter hoses down a fire that broke out after a rocket landed in Kibbutz Nir Am outside northern Gaza on July 9, 2014.
27. A plume of smoke and dirt rises over Gaza following an Israel Air Force bombing, as seen from near Sderot on July 9, 2014.
28. People gather around a vehicle targeted in an Israeli airstrike on Gaza City on July 8, 2014.
29. Palestinians survey a house which police said was destroyed in an Israeli air strike in Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip on July 8, 2014.
30. Palestinians search through the rubble of a house destroyed by an overnight Israeli airstrike in Gaza City on July 8, 2014.
31. Palestinian medics comfort an injured girl at the Shifa hospital after an Israeli missile strike in Gaza City on July 9, 2014.
32. Palestinians inspect a damaged building after an Israeli military strike in Gaza City on July 8, 2014.
33. Palestinians look for belongings amongst the rubble of a house which police said was destroyed in Israeli air strikes in Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip on July 8, 2014. Local residents said the dwelling belonged to the family of a Hamas member and that the casualties occurred when it came under attack for the second time on Tuesday. After the first strike, people had gathered on its roof as "human shields", hoping their presence would deter a second strike, the residents said.
34. An Israeli soldier watches helicopters on July 8, 2014, in Ashkelon, Israel.
35. Smoke and a ball of fire rises after an Israeli missile strike in Beit Lahia, northern Gaza Strip, on July 8, 2014.
36. Damage caused by a rocket fired from Gaza strip hitting the city of Ashdod, Israel, seen on June 8, 2014.
37. Smoke rises after an Israeli air strike in northern Gaza on July 8, 2014.
38. An Israeli girl runs as a siren sounds warning of incoming rockets in the southern city of Ashkelon on July 8, 2014.
39. Smoke trails are seen as rockets are launched towards Israel from northern Gaza on July 9, 2014.
40. Residents take cover in a concrete pipe used as a bomb shelter, as a siren warning of incoming rockets is sounded in the southern community of Nitzan, near Ashdod, on July 8, 2014.