1. The Supermoon rises over houses in Olvera, in the southern Spanish province of Cadiz, on July 12, 2014. Occurring when a full moon or new moon coincides with the closest approach the moon makes to the Earth, the Supermoon results in a larger-than-usual appearance of the lunar disk.
2. Russell Norris, 15, of Tylertown, Mississippi, dives into the chilly Swift River at Coos Canyon in Byron, Maine.
3. Germany's Mario Goetze (left) celebrates near teammate Thomas Mueller after scoring the winning goal during extra time in their 2014 World Cup final against Argentina at the Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro on July 13, 2014.
4. Members of the German soccer squad wave to fans after the arrival of the German national soccer team in Berlin on July 15, 2014. Germany's World Cup-winning team returned home from Brazil to celebrate the country's fourth title with huge crowds of fans.
5. In Buenos Aires, Argentin, soccer fans try to escape from a tear gas cloud and a police water cannon, used to restrain a group of youths who hurled rocks and vandalized stores, at a rally after Argentina's performance in a 1-0 loss to Germany in the World Cup finals on July 13, 2014. Police said more than a dozen officers were injured and many more were arrested.
6. My cabbages! A boy holds a sack of cabbages at a vegetable wholesale market in Jinan, Shandong province, China, on July 13, 2014.
7. Customer Andreas Kroker looks at a 3D-printed figure of himself at the Twinkind 3D printing studio in Berlin, Germany. A 3D-printed likeness is produced by taking a 360 degree photographic scan of a person, which is then rendered into a 3D digital model and retouched to meet the requirements for printing. The printing machine uses this digital model to produce a high-resolution solid figure. Twinkind co-founder Timo Schaedel said, people often come to the session well-groomed, with fresh hair-cuts and their best clothes, "just as they used to do in the past, when they had their portrait taken in a photo studio." Picture taken December 13, 2013, released July 15, 2014.
8. People take pictures at sunset during the bi-annual occurrence "Manhattanhenge" in New York on July 11, 2014. Manhattanhenge, coined by astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, occurs when the setting sun aligns itself with the east-west grid of streets in Manhattan, allowing the sun to shine down all streets at the same time.
9. Skamania County sheriff's deputies and firefighters rescue John Napierkowski, bottom right, who was trapped in the water at Dougan Falls on the Washougal River in Washougal, Washington, on July 14, 2014. Napierkowski was taken to a hospital after he was trapped in the cold water for about an hour.
10. Smoke from rockets fired from Gaza City, after being launched toward Israel, on July 15, 2014. US Secretary of State John Kerry warned of the "great risks" that the violence between Israel and the Gaza Strip could spiral out of control.
11. An Israeli Apache helicopter fires a missile towards the Gaza Strip on July 18, 2014.
12. A Palestinian man carries the body of a boy, who medics said was killed by a shell fired by an Israeli naval gunboat, on a beach in Gaza City on July 16, 2014. Four Palestinian children were killed and one was critically wounded on the Gaza beach on Wednesday by the shell fired by the Israeli naval gunboat, a Palestinian health official said.
13. An Israeli rocket is fired into the northern Gaza Strip on July 17 2014. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Thursday instructed the military to begin a ground offensive in Gaza, an official statement from his office said. The Israeli military says Gaza militants have fired more than 1,300 rockets into Israel. Palestinian health officials say 233 Palestinians have been killed in Israeli air and naval strikes. One Israeli civilian has been killed by fire from Gaza.
14. Israelis take cover on a highway as a siren sounds on July 17, 2014 in Tel-aviv, Israel.
15. A Palestinian girl, who medics said was wounded in an Israeli air strike, lies on a bed at a hospital in Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip on July 16, 2014.
16. An Israeli army US-made self-propelled howitzer 155mm cannon fires a shell from the Israel-Gaza border into the Gaza Strip on July 18, 2014.
17. Part of an ancient town in Fenghuang county, Hunan province, China, partially submerged by floodwaters of an overflowing river as heavy rainfall hit on July 15, 2014. More than 50,000 locals and tourists were evacuated since Monday night as record downpours hit Fenghuang county, Xinhua News Agency reported.
18. Contestants adjust their traditional attire before going on stage for the "Beauties of South Sudan" beauty contest in Juba on July 13, 2014.
19. Fireworks explode around the Eiffel Tower during the annual Bastille Day celebrations on July 14, 2014 in Paris, France. The French National Day, commemorates the beginning of the French Revolution with the storming of the Bastille fortress and prison on July 14, 1789.
20. People play on surfboards in Brighton on July 18, 2014, as parts of the country were expected to experience the hottest day of the year so far and the Met Office issued a heatwave alert for southern England and the Midlands.
21. The site of a Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 plane crash is seen near the settlement of Grabovo in the Donetsk region, of Ukraine, on July 17, 2014. The Malaysian airliner Flight MH17 was brought down over eastern Ukraine on Thursday, killing all 298 people aboard and sharply raising the stakes in a conflict between Kiev and pro-Moscow rebels in which Russia and the West back opposing sides.
22. A pro-Russian separatist looks at wreckage from the nose section of a Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 plane which was downed in Ukraine's Donetsk region on July 18, 2014.
23. A body lies in a wheat field, in the wide debris field of Thursday's Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 plane crash in Ukraine on July 18, 2014.
24. Drawings on a notepad, comic books, and playing cards, belongings of passengers on the downed Malaysia Airlines jet carrying 298 people from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, in rebel-held east Ukraine.
25. A group of miners search a field for debris and human remains from an Malaysia Airlines plane on July 18, 2014 in Grabovka, Ukraine.
26. People walk yhrough the crash site of the Malaysia Airlines plane near the village of Hrabove, Ukraine, on July 17, 2014.
27. A Buddhist prays as people lay flowers and light candles in front of the Embassy of the Netherlands in Kiev on July 18, 2014, a day after a Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 carrying 298 people from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur crashed in eastern Ukraine.
28. Liu Ling, whose husband was onboard Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370, which disappeared back on March 8, cries during an interview with Reuters in Beijing on July 18, 2014. World leaders demanded an international investigation into Thursday's shooting down of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 with 298 people on board over eastern Ukraine in a tragedy that could mark a pivotal moment in the worst crisis between Russia and the West since the Cold War. The loss of MH17 is the second devastating blow for Malaysia Airlines this year, following the mysterious disappearance of Flight MH370 in March, which vanished with 239 passengers and crew on board on its way from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. Liu said she "felt more terrible after hearing about Thursday's incident and is now more certain that MH370 did not crash because the downed MH17 showed how a crash should look like".
29. Members of the media surround Malaysian Siti Dina as she arrives to confirm news that her daughter was on board Malaysia Airlines MH17, at Kuala Lumpur International Airport in Sepang on July 18, 2014. The United States believes a surface-to-air missile brought down the Malaysian airliner that crashed in eastern Ukraine, killing all 298 people on board, an incident that sharply raises the stakes in a conflict between Kiev and pro-Moscow rebels. Her daughter Shelisa Zaini, Shelisa's Dutch husband and their three children were on board the plane en-route to Melbourne, Australia.
30. The Washington state ferry "Cathlamet" sails in Puget Sound, with Mount Rainier in the background, on July 16, 2014, near Seattle.
31. Carriers of the Great God Power brotherhood unload Virgen del Carmen statue after its journey on July 15, 2014 at Puerto de la Cruz dock on the Canary island of Tenerife, Spain. Since 1921, the statue of the Virgen del Carmen, patron saint of fishermen, has been carried with great fanfare annually as part of July Festivities to the Puerto de la Cruz dock where, at the end of its procession, it is hoisted aboard a decorated boat. Weather permitting, the boat carrying the statue, accompanied by a flotilla of other boats, makes a short journey along the island coast before returning to the harbor. In recent years, attendance at the event has numbered more than 35,000 people.
32. President Barack Obama drives a simulator high-tech car as he tours the Turner-Fairbank Highway Research Center in McLean, Virginia, on July 15, 2014 before speaking on the economy.
33. Boats, including the Desert Princess paddle wheeler, travel in front of mineral-stained rocks on the upstream side of the Hoover Dam on July 17, 2014 in the Lake Mead National Recreation Area, Arizona. Last week, North America's largest man-made reservoir dropped below 1,082 feet above sea level, the lowest it's been since the Hoover Dam was built in the 1930s. A 14-year drought in the Southwestern United States and a dwindling supply of water from the Colorado River, in part due to cuts in the reservoir's annual allocation of water from Lake Powell, has left a white "bathtub ring" of mineral deposits left by higher water levels on the rocks around the lake as high as 130 feet. The National Park Service has been forced to close or extend boat launch ramps, and move entire marinas to try to keep up with the receding water levels.
34. Mahindra Moto3 rider Bryan Schouten of the Netherlands fights with compatriot Kalex KTM Moto3 rider Scott Deroue (right) after they crashed during the German Grand Prix at the Sachsenring circuit in the eastern German town of Hohenstein-Ernstthal on July 13, 2014.
35. A 6.6 meter replica Godzilla, during a press preview at Tokyo Midtown on July 17, 2014 in Tokyo, Japan, in collaboration with the Japan release of the Hollywood film version of 'Godzilla'.
36. Children play in the water of a fountain on a hot summer day in Nice, southeastern France on July 18, 2014.
37. Grumpy Cat attends a video launch party at Bleecker Street Records on July 16, 2014 in New York City.
38. Israeli bride Ziva Mordechai arrives for her wedding to Haim Zohan in a bomb shelter of a Yeshiva (religious school) in the southern Israeli city of Sderot on July 16, 2014. Israel told 100,000 Gazans to flee their homes but the warning was largely ignored.
39. In this photo taken on a smartphone on Saturday, July 12, 2014, people run to shelter from a sudden hailstorm on a beach of the Ob River, the major river in western Siberia in Novosibirsk, Russia.
40. Reverend Kat Campion-Spall of St Mary's church in Merton weeps after the Synod session during which the Church of England approved the consecration of women bishops, in York, on July 14, 2014.