1. Installation of the new Congress (2014-2018) at the Capitol in Bogota, Colombia, on July 20, 2014. Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos called it a "Congress of peace" and called on lawmakers to support an agenda for a "post-conflict nation."
2. The Caribbean Sea, viewed from the International Space Station. From the Earth-orbiting ISS, flying some 225 nautical miles above the Caribbean Sea, NASA astronaut Reid Wiseman photographed this north-looking panorama that includes parts of Cuba, the Bahamas and Florida, and even runs into several other areas in the southeastern U.S. The long stretch of lights to the left of center frame gives the shape of Miami.
3. A row of hearses carrying victims of the Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 plane disaster are escorted on highway A27 near Nieuwegein, Netherlands, by military police, on their way to be identified by forensic experts in Hilversum, on July 23, 2014.
4. A DC-10 air tanker is dwarfed by the tip of a rising smoke cloud as the plane prepares to drop fire retardant over a wildfire near Carlton, Washington, on July 19, 2014. A wind-driven, lightning-caused wildfire racing through rural north-central Washington destroyed about 100 homes Thursday and Friday, leaving behind solitary brick chimneys and burned-out automobiles as it blackened hundreds of square miles in the scenic Methow Valley northeast of Seattle.
5. Military working dog, Colli, maintains a bite after Cpl. Paul Kelley, working dog handler, jumps into a pool during an aquatics aggression class on July 14, 2014.
6. An employee exhumes the remains of people dumped into mass graves over the summer of 1936 during the Spanish Civil War, on Mount Estepar near Burgos on July 24, 2014. Work is expected to last two weeks, during which an estimated 90 to 100 corpses will be unearthed by 20 workers from the association Aranzadi Science Society, history students from Burgus University and members of the cordinating body for the recovery of historical memory.
7. The pack passes a bridge spanning Durance river in Sisteron during the fifteenth stage of the Tour de France cycling race over 222 kilometers (137.9 miles) with start in Tallard and finish in Nimes, France, on July 20, 2014.
8. Tour de France race leader, Astana team rider Vincenzo Nibali of Italy, pushes away a spectator as he cycles to win the 18th stage between Pau and Hautacam on July 24, 2014.
9. A resident waits for transportation to a new home after being evicted from the world's tallest slum, the Tower of David, a half-built skyscraper that was abandoned in the 1990s and was transformed by squatters into a vertical ghetto, in Caracas, Venezuela, on July 22, 2014. Officials and armed soldiers began moving out the first of thousands of squatters who have lived for nearly a decade in a soaring, half-built skyscraper in the heart of Caracas. See earlier photo essay on In Focus: Squatters in Venezuela's 45-Story 'Tower of David'.
10. A kayaker paddles near the Frankston foreshore as the sun sets over a low lying cloud of fog on July 22, 2014 in Melbourne, Australia.
11. Malaysian air crash investigators take photos of the crash site of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17, near the village of Hrabove (Grabovo), Donetsk region, Ukraine, on July 22, 2014.
12. Members of the Ukrainian Emergencies Ministry gather and place bodies at the crash site of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17, near the village of Hrabove, Donetsk region, on July 20, 2014.
13. Dave Mazur, vice president and B-2 program manager, arrives on a B-2 Stealth Bike to address the audience of employees at the Palmdale Aircraft Integration Center of Excellence in Palmdale, California, on July 17, 2014, where the US Air Force and manufacturer of the B-2, Northrop Grumman, celebrated the 25th anniversary of the B-2 Stealth Bomber's first flight.
14. Jalante Adams, 12, fights back tears as he listens to speakers during a memorial service for his sister, Shamiya Adams, on July 20, 2014 in Chicago, Illinois. Jalante, along with family members, prepared to release balloons during a prayer vigil. Adams, 11, was killed while spending the night at a friend's home when a stray bullet flew through an open window and an interior wall and struck her in the head on July 18th. The memorial service was held outside of the home in which Adams was killed.
15. A man pushes his scooter against strong wind and heavy rainfall along a flooded seaside street as Typhoon Rammasun hits Haikou, Hainan province, on July 18, 2014.
16. A man stands in his backyard and looks at the wreckage of a TransAsia Airways turboprop plane that crashed on Taiwan's offshore island Penghu July 24, 2014. The leaders of rivals China and Taiwan expressed condolences on Thursday for victims of the plane that crashed during a thunderstorm the previous day killing 48 people including two French nationals.
17. A bull stands inside a shop selling clothes at Varanasi, in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, on June 20, 2014.
18. Smoke and fire from the explosion of an Israeli strike rise over Gaza City, on July 22, 2014, as Israeli airstrikes pummeled a wide range of locations along the coastal area and diplomatic efforts intensified to end the two-week war.
19. A Palestinian gunman fires in the air during the funeral of Mahmoud al-Shawamrah in the West Bank town of Al-Ram near Jerusalem, on July 22, 2014. Israeli troops shot dead al-Shawamrah during clashes with stone-throwers in the occupied West Bank on Monday, both sides said, as tensions mounted over Israel's military offensive in Gaza.
20. The cruise liner Costa Concordia, during the refloat operation at Giglio harbor at Giglio Island on July 21, 2014.
21. Sgt. Matt Krumwiede prepares to put on prosthetic legs to practice riding his longboard at the Center for the Intrepid at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas, on February 24, 2014. Krumwiede was on patrol in Afghanistan in 2012 when he stepped on an improvised explosive device which tore away both his legs, damaged his left arm, and ripped open his abdominal cavity. Since then he has undergone dozens of surgeries and spent time recovering at Brooke Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas, learning to walk again with the use of prosthetic legs. See earlier photo essay on In Focus: After Afghanistan: Learning to Walk Again.
22. Williams Formula One driver Felipe Massa of Brazil crashes in the first corner after the start of the German F1 Grand Prix at the Hockenheim racing circuit, on July 20, 2014.
23. Scorched trees, after being burned by the Carlton Complex Fire near Malott, Washington, on July 20, 2014. A massive wildfire raging east of Washington state's Cascade Mountains showed some sign of calming, with fire crews saying they had slowed the expansion of a wind-whipped blaze that destroyed about 100 homes and displaced hundreds of people.
24. A model has makeup applied before the Gottex collection during Mercedes Benz Swim Fashion Week in Miami on July 20, 2014.
25. Aerial view of Rio das Pedras shantytown (favela), next to Barra da Tijuca, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on June 28, 2014.
26. Flamingo chicks walk away from volunteers towards an enclosure before they are tagged in Fuente de Piedra lake on July 19, 2014 in Fuente de Piedra, Spain. Fuente de Piedra lagoon is a natural reserves with more than 170 different species recorded and one of the main breeding grounds for Flamingos in Iberian Peninsule. Hundreds of flamingo chicks are tagged and checked to record the evolution of the species.
27. Family and friends of Maj. Tzafrir Bar-Or, 32, one of 13 soldiers who were killed in several separate incidents in Shijaiya, mourn during his funeral at the military cemetery in Holon on July 21, 2014.
28. U.S. slackliner Andy Lewis of California balances on a 169 meters (555 feet)-long slackline above the streets of Bangkok, Thailand on July 23, 2014.
29. Student Georgina Sapak sunbathes on the beach during a hot summer day by the Brighton pier in southern England on July 23, 2014.
30. A musician from a North Korean military band, during the opening ceremony of a new dock at the port of Rajin, on July 18, 2014. The dock was jointly built with Russia after last year's completion of a railway link to North Korea, holding out the prospect of increased trade for the reclusive nation with its biggest neighbors after years of international sanctions.
31. An Israeli undercover policeman fires his gun toward Palestinian demonstrators while his colleagues arrest a man during clashes following traditional Friday prayers near the Old City in East Jerusalem on July 25, 2014. Israeli security forces are on heightened alert after a Palestinian man was shot dead during a huge protest in the West Bank against Israel's military offensive in Gaza. Palestinian factions in the West Bank declared a "Day of Rage" after the previous night's clashes around the West Bank and in some sectors of Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem.
32. Wreckage of a burned-out aircraft, after a shelling at Tripoli International Airport in Libya, on July 21, 2014. Heavy fighting erupted around Tripoli International Airport, where rival militias have been battling for control, killing at least four people and forcing thousands from their homes, local residents and witnesses said.
33. A giant puppet dog is steered through the center of Liverpool as she and two other giants, a grandmother and a girl, parade for three days telling the story of the city's involvement in World War One, in Liverpool, England, on July 25, 2014.
34. Firefighter Keith McMillen (right) keeps watch over a controlled burn while battling the Carlton Complex Fire near Winthrop, Washington, on July 19, 2014. The wildfire raging unchecked for a sixth day east of Washington state's Cascade Mountains has destroyed about 100 homes, displaced hundreds of residents and left thousands without electricity, emergency officials said.
35. Allie Shaughnessy, dressed as Mystique, poses during the 2014 Comic-Con International Convention in San Diego, California, on July 24, 2014.