1. Workers walk down stairs to a parking structure as water cascades down on them on the UCLA campus after flooding from a broken 30-inch water main under nearby Sunset Boulevard inundated a large area of the campus in the Westwood section of Los Angeles on July 29, 2014. The 30-inch (75-centimeter) 93-year-old pipe that broke made a raging river of the street and sent millions of gallons of water across the school's athletic facilities, including the famed floor of Pauley Pavilion, the neighboring Wooden Center and the Los Angeles Tennis Center, and a pair of parking structures that took the brunt of the damage.
2. An MV-22B Osprey aircraft flies in view of downtown Seattle on July 28, 2014. The vertical takeoff and landing tilt-rotor aircraft is designed to combine the functionality of a conventional helicopter with the performance of a turboprop aircraft. Two of the aircraft were in Seattle in support of Marine Week and will also be part of the annual air show over Lake Washington at Seattle's Seafair festival, Friday through Sunday.
3. Thomas Morfina, member of a youth corps campaigning for peace, performs an act at the sprawling Kibera slum in Nairobi on July 28, 2014.
4. Two spectacled bear cubs play at the zoo in Frankfurt am Main, Germany, on July 28, 2014.
5. Palestinians inspect damage to adjacent houses from a fallen minaret of the Al-Sousi mosque that was destroyed in an Israel strike, at the Shati refugee camp, in the northern Gaza Strip, on, July 30, 2014.
6. People walk through crop circles in a cornfield near Raisting, Germany, on July 28, 2014. According to media reports, a balloonist had discovered the circle some days ago. Since then, hundreds of people came to the field to view it, however it is unclear who created the pattern.
7. The Litte Giant Girl and her pet Xolo, the Giant Dog, some of the giant Royal De Luxe street puppets taking part in Liverpool's World War I centenary commemorations, start their walk through the streets of Liverpool. The French street theatre company Royal de Luxe were putting on a show throughout the city as part of Liverpool's World War I centenary commemorations from July 23-27.
8. Australia's Mitch Larkin swims to win the Men's 200m Backstroke Final at the Tollcross International Swimming Center during the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow on July 28, 2014.
9. Flames from a series of explosions from an underground gas leak in the streets of Kaohsiung, Taiwan, early Friday, August 1, 2014. A massive gas leakage early Friday caused five explosions that killed several people and injured over 200 in the southern Taiwan port city of Kaohsiung.
10. Local residents walk past the gas explosion site in the southern Taiwan city of Kaohsiung on August 1, 2014.
11. A general view of the damaged road after gas explosions in the southern city of Kaohsiung on August 1, 2014. A series of powerful gas blasts killed at least 24 people and injured up to 271, overturning cars and ripping up roads, officials said.
12. A storm passes by as an amateur photographer captures gigantic waves crashing into Mornington Harbour on July 31, 2014 in Melbourne, Australia.
13. Jorge, an immigrant from Mexico, dressed as the Sesame Street character Elmo, rests in Times Square, New York, on July 29, 2014. Elmo and Cookie Monster have long delighted young viewers on TV's "Sesame Street," but recent antics of New York street performers dressed as the beloved characters have drawn the ire of city officials and now the show's producers. Sesame Workshop, which owns the rights to Big Bird, Ernie and the assorted puppet monsters on the 45-year-old program, said on July 29, 2014 it was drafting plans to stop unauthorized performers who dress up as the characters from appearing in Times Square, where they pose for photos with tourists and then demand tips.
14. A picture taken from the southern Israeli Gaza border shows an Israeli UAV Hermes 500 flying next to a crescent moon over the Gaza Strip on July 31, 2014.
15. This picture taken on July 25, 2014 shows people cooling off in a waterpark in Suining, southwest China's Sichuan province.
16. A statue of Buddha and storm debris are covered with mud outside a flooded house after heavy rains hit the town of Ittre, Belgium, on July 30, 2014.
17. The wind blows the hair of a kissing couple in Trafalgar Square, just before a thunderstorm started in London on July 25, 2014.
18. One of the Expedition 40 crew members aboard the International Space Station photographed this oblique night image of almost the entire country of Italy and the islands of Sicily, Corsica and Sardinia on July 26, 2014.
19. Stephen McDonagh takes part in the Irish Bog Snorkeling championship at Peatlands Park on July 27, 2014 in Dungannon, Northern Ireland. The annual event sees male and female competitors swim the 60m length of the bog watched by scores of spectators and takes place on International Bog Day.
20. Delegates from different Moroccan regions attend the ceremony of allegiance marking the 15th anniversary of Mohammed VI's accession to the throne at the king's palace in Rabat on July 31, 2014.
21. Kenya's Denis Okoth lands a punch on England's Samuel Maxwell during their men's Light Welterweight boxing fight at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland, on July 27, 2014.
22. More than 40 ships and submarines representing 15 international partner nations travel in formation in the Pacific Ocean during the Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) 2014 exercise in this U.S. Navy photo taken July 25, 2014, and released July 31, 2014.
23. Public prosecutors, covering their faces with masks, leave the house of former drug lord Juan Ramon Matta-Ballesteros after the police occupied the property, in Tegucigalpa, Honduras, on July 31, 2014. Honduran Public Prosecutor office took control of 17 properties of Matta-Ballesteros who has been in prison in the United States since 1988.
24. A participant runs with his dog as they take part in The Sumo Run in Battersea Park, London, on July 27, 2014. The Sumo Run is an annual 5km charity fun run around the park in inflatable sumo suits.
25. A train carrying iron ore arrives in Nouadhibou, Mauritania. Mauritania's SNIM iron ore mining company aims to produce 13 million tons in 2014, around the same level as last year, the majority state-owned firm said. SNIM mines black iron ore in the northern town of Zouerate, a remote desert location which nevertheless attracts people from all over the country looking for work. SNIM employees proudly call their firm the lungs of their nation's economy. The train that ferries the ore to the coast stretches some two kilometers, making it one of the world's longest.
26. Swiss Alpine wrestler Christian Stucki (left) fights with Arnold Forrer during the Alpine Wrestling Festival Bruenig-Schwinget at the top of the Bruenig Pass on July 27, 2014 in Meiringen, Switzerland.
27. A bus drives along the M54 federal highway through a steppe district in Russia's Khakassia region, south of Krasnoyarsk, on July 28, 2014.
28. A damaged building, after clashes between rival militias, in an area at Alswani road in Tripoli, Libya, on July 28, 2014. A rocket hit a fuel storage tank in a chaotic battle for Tripoli airport that has all but closed off international flights to Libya, leaving fire-fighters struggling to extinguish a giant conflagration. Two rival brigades of former rebels fighting for control of Tripoli International Airport have pounded each other's positions with Grad rockets, artillery fire and cannons for two weeks, turning the south of the capital into a battlefield.
29. Dominic Aguilera slides down a handrail into a parking structure outside Pauley Pavilion sporting arena as water flows down stairs from a broken thirty inch water main that was gushing water onto Sunset Boulevard near the UCLA campus in the Westwood section of Los Angeles on July 29, 2014.
30. Russian amphibious vehicles sail in formation during celebrations to mark Navy Day in the far eastern Russian port of Vladivostok on July 27, 2014.
31. A civil defense member is stuck under debris at a site hit by what activists said were two barrel bombs dropped by forces loyal to Syria's President Bashar al-Assad in the Al-Shaar neighbourhood of Aleppo, Syria, on July 27, 2014.
32. Debris falls as Fire Brigade officers damp down the remains of the arcade after a fire broke out on Eastbourne Pier on July 30, 2014 in Eastbourne, England. The Fire broke out around 3pm and was attended by over 60 firefighters. The pier, a popular seaside attraction, was built in the 1870s and was home to a number of cafes and bars.
33. A "mist cannon" works along a street in Chongqing, China, on July 30, 2014. According to local media, the device is meant to combat air pollution by spraying mist into the air, which sticks to dust particles, causing them to fall to the ground.
34. A traffic controller stands in her rain gear in Pyongyang, North Korea, on July 25, 2014.
35. The anthropomorphic robot named hitchBOT sits on the shoulder of Highway 102 to begin its 6,000 kilometer cross-country journey outside of Halifax, Nova Scotia, on July 27, 2014. The hitch-hiking robot is part of a social experiment to see if drivers will pick up and drop off the robot in one piece to an art gallery in Victoria, British Columbia. According to the website, as of today, August 1, hitchBot has made it as far as Toronto.