1. A fisherman transports a dead whale shark after it was caught in a net in Yangzhi county, Fujian province, China, on August 1, 2014. According to local media, the whale shark is five meters long and weighs over 2 tons.
2. Dancers from the Australian Ballet are pictured in the Bondi Icebergs oceanside pool in Sydney, Australia, on August 7, 2014. The dancers were promoting the February 2015 production of Swan Lake at Sydney's Capitol Theatre.
3. A field of sunflowers, at the site of the downed Malaysian airliner MH17, near the village of Rozsypne in the Donetsk region of Ukraine, on August 4, 2014.
4. Rescue workers try to help a driver out of his car, after the vehicle was stuck above an alley in Wenzhou, Zhejiang province, China, on August 4, 2014. The car rolled off the edge of a road after the driver was slow to brake.
5. An elephant swims behind a window in the elephants' indoor pool at the Zoo in Leipzig, Germany, on August 5, 2014.
6. In this picture taken on August 3, 2014 by Rosetta's OSIRIS narrow-angle camera, Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko is pictured from a distance of 285 km. A mission to orbit and land the first space probe on a comet reached a major milestone when the unmanned Rosetta spacecraft finally caught up with its quarry on August 6, 2014.
7. Airman 1st Class Keith Fussell dons his helmet before training at Hurlburt Field, Florida, on July 17, 2014. Firefighters spent more than an hour training on correct ventilation techniques.
8. A couple shares a moment at the Lincoln Center fountain on August 1, 2014, in New York.
9. The results of a tailing pond breach at Imperial Metals Corp's gold and copper mine at Mount Polley in central British Columbia, photographed on August 4, 2014. The breach of the large pond holding waste matter from the mine spilled some 10 million cubic meters (2.6 billion gallons) of water and 4.5 million cubic meters of fine sand into Polley Lake.
10. Employees prepare cows before milking them at a new dairy farm holding 800 cows on the day of its opening in the village of Petrovskoye in Leningrad region, some 90 km (56 miles) north of St. Petersburg, Russia, on August 8, 2014.
11. Revellers ride during the 54th annual brass band festival in the Serbian village of Guca on August 7, 2014. Every year Guca is swamped by thousands of people taking part in the celebration of brass band music.
12. A couple of hand guns are destroyed by a policeman with an acetylene torch in Panama City on August 6, 2014. Panama's police destroyed hundreds of weapons handed over during the first month of the new government, most of them without a gun license and used in criminal activities. Panama's President Juan Carlos Varela had announced an amnesty to allow gang members surrender their weapons.
13. A man talks on a mobile phone in front of a closed store in Tokyo, Japan, on August 7, 2014.
14. Iraqi military personnel distribute water to Shiite Iraqi Kurds, known as "Shabak", displaced by fierce fighting between Kurdish peshmerga forces and jihadist militants from the Islamic State (IS) after arriving on the road between Kirkuk and Arbil having fled the area of Bartala near the northern Iraqi city of Mosul, on August 8, 2014. Jihadists seized Iraq's largest dam north of their hub of Mosul, giving them control over the supply of water and electricity for a vast area, officials said.
15. A village is seen next to a lake formed by a landslide after Sunday's earthquake which hit Zhaotong, Yunnan province, on August 7, 2014. The earthquake in China triggered landslides that have blocked rivers and created rapidly growing bodies of water that could unleash more destruction on survivors of the disaster.
16. Rescue crew members watch as machinery is used to dig through the rubble of collapsed houses at Longtoushan, in China's southwest Yunnan province on August 7, 2014.
17. College students cool themselves inside an inflatable pool during the summer heat, at their dormitory in Wuhan, Hubei province, China, on August 5, 2014.
18. Clouds gather over the Suleymaniye Mosque during a storm on August 7, 2014, in Istanbul, Turkey.
19. North Korean leader Kim Jong Un smiles during a visit to the Chonji Lubricant Factory in Pyongyang on August 6, 2014.
20. A Palestinian woman carries belongings as she walks over the rubble of buildings destroyed by what police said were Israeli air strikes and shelling in Khuzaa, east of Khan Younis, in the southern Gaza Strip, on August 3, 2014.
21. Auckland welcomes newborn lambs at Cornwall Park on August 6, 2014 in New Zealand. The daffodils and lambs indicate that Spring is making an early appearance in Auckland.
22. Donna Garner, right, embraces former employee Napua Gonsales-Merck while they sift through the remains of the Fireside Village, a restaurant and shop owned by the Garners for over 30 years, in the aftermath of the Eiler Fire. on August 5, 2014, in Hat Creek, California.
23. Guinea Police secure the area around a man who collapsed in a puddle of water on the street in the city of Conakry, Guinea, on August 6, 2014. People would not approach him as they feared he may be suffering from the Ebola virus. The man lay in the street for several hours before being taken to an Ebola control center for assessment.
24. A woman looks out from a damaged window following what locals say was shelling by Ukrainian forces in Donetsk on August 7, 2014. The Ukrainian government said it was suspending a ceasefire with separatist rebels at the crash site of the Malaysian airliner after an international recovery mission had been halted.
25. Protesters hold a Molotov cocktail during clashes with pro-government forces at Independence Square in Kiev, Ukraine, on August 7, 2014. Tensions flared on Thursday on Kiev's Independence Square, the scene of street protests that toppled a Moscow-backed president in February, when protesters still camped there clashed with city workers who tried to clear away their tents.
26. A field burns near the crash site of a Ukrainian fighter jet near the village of Zhdanivka, some 40 kilometers northeast of the rebel stronghold of Donetsk, on August 7, 2014. The fighter jet tumbled to earth in a fireball after it was blasted out of the air while flying low over rebel-held territory in the east of the country. An AFP crew saw the Sukhoi warplane explode in mid-air and the parachute of at least one pilot opening up in the clear blue sky.
27. A cloud of dust rises as loose earth moves down a slope at the site of a landslide in Sindhupalchowk area, east of Katmandu, Nepal, on August 2, 2014. A massive landslide killed at least eight people and blocked a mountain river in northern Nepal, causing the water to form a lake that was threatening to burst and sweep several villages, officials said.
28. Children react beside a dead body under rubble at a site hit by what activists said were two airstrikes by forces loyal to Syria's President Bashar al-Assad in Douma in eastern al-Ghouta, near Damascus, Syria, on August 3, 2014.
29. A herd of horses run on a grassland in Xilin Gol League, in China's Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, on July 31, 2014.
30. A woman uses a tablet to photograph shafts of light piercing the night sky at an installation entitled "Spectra" by Japanese artist Ryoji Ikeda located at Victoria Tower Gardens adjacent to the Houses of Parliament in London on August 5, 2014. The work was commissioned to commemorate the centenary of the outbreak of World War I and will be visible from dusk till dawn until the early hours of Monday, August 11.
31. Stone crosses marking the graves of German soldiers are overtaken by time and and the growing trunk of a tree in Hooglede German Military Cemetery on the centenary of World War I on August 4, 2014 in Hooglede, Belgium.
32. A surfer catches a wave as the sun sets on Fistral Beach on the first day of the Boardmasters surf and music festival in Newquay on August 6, 2014 in Cornwall, England. Since 1981, Newquay has been playing host to the Boardmasters surfing competition - which is part of a larger five-day surf, skate and music festival and has become a integral part of the continually popular British surf scene growing from humble beginnings, to one of the biggest events on the British surfing calendar.
33. Three men found guilty by a Somali military court of killing civilians and masterminding a recent attack on the Presidential Palace stand tied to poles shortly before they were executed by a firing squad in capital Mogadishu on August 3, 2014. The three were also members of the militant group Al Shabaab.
34. Early morning sky above the Matterhorn, seen from the ski resort of Zermatt in the Swiss Alps on August 4, 2014.
35. Egyptian youths practice rapping and dancing on a hill overlooking Cairo, Egypt, on August 1, 2014.