1. A temple stands amid the waters of the overflowing river Tawi during heavy rains in Jammu on September 6, 2014. Authorities declared a disaster alert in the northern region after heavy rain hit villages across the Kashmir valley, causing the worst flooding in decades.
2. An Indian Kashmiri man uses a rope to cross swift-moving floodwater in Srinagar on September 9, 2014. Bewildered families, nursing children and clutching meager belongings, packed into makeshift relief centers after fleeing floods in India and Pakistan that have now claimed more than 400 lives.
3. An aerial view shows buildings partially submerged in Srinagar, Indian-controlled Kashmir, on September 10, 2014.
4. A girl pauses and watches a photographer as her family members salvage items from their temporary tent after flooding in Srinagar, India, on September 5, 2014.
5. Indian residents look toward threatened houses as waters from the overflowing Tawi river rage past in Jammu on September 6, 2014.
6. A Kashmiri flood victim loses his balance on his makeshift boat after he was hit by a wave as he tried to travel to a safer place in Srinagar on September 7, 2014.
7. Kashmiri residents struggle to withstand sudden and strong water currents while wading through floodwaters in their efforts to move to safer places in Srinagar, India, on September 4, 2014.
8. Floodwaters engulf temples in Jammu, India, on September 6, 2014.
9. Kashmiris hang on to a tree to prevent being swept away by floodwaters in Srinagar on September 9, 2014.
10. Kashmiri residents carrying a goat wade through floodwaters in Srinagar on September 4, 2014. At least 100 villages across the Kashmir valley were flooded by overflowing lakes and rivers, in the worst flooding in years.
11. A mosque sits partially submerged by floodwaters after heavy rain in Wazirabad, located in Gujranwala, on September 7, 2014.
12. A flood victim walks through the door frame of his damaged house, after heavy rain in Wazirabad, located in Gujranwala, on September 7, 2014.
13. A Pakistani child looks on as his family cleans their home following flooding in Rawalpindi on September 6, 2014.
14. An aerial view of a damaged bridge across the River Tawi at Mandal village on the outskirts of Jammu, India, on September 8, 2014.
15. Kashmiri residents climb on the roof of a house as a raft approaches to assist during floods in the outskirts of Srinagar on September 4, 2014.
16. Pakistani residents use a boat to rescue flood-affected residents at Jalalpur Bhattian in the Hafizabad district of Punjab province on September 8, 2014.
17. Kashmiri volunteers evacuate a child from a flooded area in Srinagar on September 6, 2014.
18. Locals affected by the flood jostle for free food, distributed by a charity organization in Jafar Kot near Wazirabad, some 100 kilometers (65 miles) north of Lahore, Pakistan, on September 7, 2014.
19. People stand on the rooftop of their flooded houses caused by heavy rains on the outskirts of Islamabad, Pakistan, on September 5, 2014.
20. A truck evacuating Kashmiri flood victims to higher ground travels through a flooded street in Srinagar on September 10, 2014.
21. An Indian Kashmiri man makes his way along a rope across floodwaters in Srinagar on September 9, 2014.
22. Kashmiri people hold a man as he falls from a tractor evacuating flood victims to higher ground, as they move through a flooded street in Srinagar on September 9, 2014.
23. A dog stands on a wall of a flooded house following heavy rain in Jhang, Punjab province, on September 10, 2014.
24. Local volunteers ferry floods victims to safety in Srinagar, India, on September 9, 2014.
25. Pakistani villager Arshad Bibi cries while waiting for a boat to evacuate flood victims along the Chenab River, in Jhang, Pakistan, on September 10, 2014. Thousands of people fled their homes in Pakistan on Wednesday as monsoon flooding that has already inundated the disputed Himalayan region of Kashmir coursed down onto the plains, causing the Chenab River to breach its banks.
26. A Pakistani villager surveys his partially damaged and flooded house in a suburb of Jhang district, 260 kilometers (161 miles) northwest of Lahore, Pakistan, on September 10, 2014.
27. An Indian tourist is airlifted from the roof of a of a five-story hotel, four of which are submerged in floodwater, in Srinagar, on September 9, 2014.
28. An Indian tourist cries as she is airlifted into a chopper in Srinagar on September 9, 2014.
29. Kashmiri men move with their cattle towards safer areas in Srinagar on September 6, 2014.
30. Pakistanis evacuate their villages in a boat along the flooded Chenab River, in Jhang, Pakistan, on September 10, 2014.
31. An Indian Air Force helicopter rescues a Kashmiri resident from a house submerged by floodwater during rescue and relief efforts in Srinagar on September 9, 2014.
32. Pakistani Christians assist an elderly woman in the flooded area of Rawalpindi on September 5, 2014.
33. A residential apartment, partially submerged in flood waters in Srinagar, on September 10, 2014.
34. Pakistani residents wade through floodwaters following heavy rain in Lahore on September 4, 2014.