1. Riot police launch tear gas into the crowd as thousands of protesters surround the government headquarters in Hong Kong Sunday, September 28, 2014. Hong Kong police used tear gas and warned of further measures as they tried to clear thousands of pro-democracy protesters gathered outside government headquarters in a challenge to Beijing over its decision to restrict democratic reforms for the city.
2. An estimated 35,000 walruses hauled out on a beach near the village of Point Lay, Alaska, 700 miles northwest of Anchorage. According to scientists, the congregation of Pacific walruses, one of the largest ever, was prompted by a lack of sea ice which the walruses use to rest in Arctic waters.
3. Photographers work during the German designer Karl Lagerfeld Spring/Summer 2015 women's ready-to-wear collection show for fashion house Chanel during Paris Fashion Week on September 30, 2014.
4. A seagull stands atop a roof in front of the Sydney Opera House on September 28, 2014.
5. An unidentified man holding what appears to be a gun, parades a handcuffed hostage wearing what appears to be an explosive vest, on the 13th floor balcony of the Saint Peter Hotel, in Brasilia, Brazil, on September 29, 2014. Firefighters and police cordoned off the area and about 300 guests and other employees left the hotel, some reportedly told to leave by the same man carrying out the attack.
6. Postman Fiete Nissen, 64, waves as he drives his trolley along the track on his way from the coast of Dagebuell, some 180 kilometers north of Hamburg, to the tiny North Sea islands of Oland and Langeness on his last working day, September 30, 2014. Nissen was the official postman for the islands' 139 residents for more than 37 years.
7. Houston Rockets center Dwight Howard is sprayed with water as he goes through a simulated workout while being filmed during NBA basketball media day on September 29, 2014, in Houston.
8. The four-faced Mecca Clock Tower, seen from the top of Mount Al-Noor, where Muslims believe Prophet Mohammad received the first words of the Koran through Gabriel in the Hera cave, during the annual Hajj pilgrimage in Mecca on September 30, 2014.
9. Muslim pilgrims perform Friday prayers around Namirah mosque on the plains of Arafat during the annual Hajj pilgrimage, outside the holy city of Mecca on October 3, 2014.
10. Brad and Sue Wyman paddle their 1930's Old Town Guide canoe along the Androscoggin River with temperatures the 70's and fall colors showing in Dummer, New Hampshire, on September 27, 2014.
11. Burlesque dancer Tara La Luna prepares backstage to perform in the bar "Principal" in the Kreuzberg district of Berlin on September 27, 2014.
12. An Indian electrician arranges loudspeakers during a Dusshera festival loudspeaker competition ahead of the forthcoming Dusshera festival in Allahabad, India, on September 30, 2014. Playing loud music has traditionally been a part of local fairs in Allahabad, where owners of the sound system playing loudest are awarded.
13. Surfers wait for waves in the Mediterranean Sea off Barcelona, Spain, shortly after dawn on September 29, 2014.
14. A woman visits a pandal, a temporary platform, with an art installation titled "Mars Mission" as part of the Durga Puja festival in Kolkata on October 1, 2014. The festival is the biggest religious event for Bengali Hindus. Hindus believe that the goddess Durga symbolises power and the triumph of good over evil. India's first mission to Mars entered orbit on September 24.
15. French adventurer and researcher Stephane Rousson prepares his "Aerosail" on September 28, 2014, in Roquebrune-Cap-Martin, France, prior to his planned attempt to cross the Mediterranean from Nice to Calvi. Aerosail is the result of Rousson and his partners' ambition to create an innovative, efficient, and silent maritime vehicle, only using the wind as means of propulsion. Its unique principle of flight allows the user to pilot the airship like a sailboat linked by a cable to a stabilized keel. The cable acts as the mast and the airship as the sail. Rousson is planning his crossing for the end of October 2014.
16. A Syrian Kurdish refugee walks with her child as they wait for transportation after crossing into Turkey, fleeing attacks by ISIS militants, near the southeastern Turkish town of Suruc in Sanliurfa province on September 30, 2014.
17. Protesters sing songs and wave their cell phones in the air after a massive thunderstorm passed over outside the Hong Kong Government Complex on September 30, 2014 in Hong Kong.
18. A child jockey walks on the race track during traditional horse races as part of Moyo festival on September 27, 2014 in Sumbawa Island, West Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia. Horse races known as Maen Jaran are part of the culture for the people of Sumbawa. This racing tradition involves child jockeys aged between 5-10 years who ride bareback. For each race the jockey gets paid around Rp.50.000 or US$5.
19. Aerial view of a river in Peru's Amazon region of Loreto on September 29, 2014.
20. Mercy Kennedy, 9, cries after she learned her mother had died, outside her home in Monrovia, Liberia, on October 2, 2014. Kennedy's mother was taken away by an ambulance to an Ebola ward the day before.
21. A mural of a Muslim woman painted on a wall in an inner city suburb of Sydney, Australia, on October 2, 2014.
22. A dog wipes out at the 6th Annual Surf City surf dog contest in Huntington Beach, California, on September 28, 2014.
23. Jean Paul Lespagnard and a model pose during his collection presentation as part of the Paris Fashion Week Womenswear Spring/Summer 2015 in Paris, France, on September 28, 2014.
24. A soap box car tumbles during the Madison Ave. Soapbox Derby in Decatur, Georgia, on September 27, 2014. The two passengers were not harmed in the incident. The annual event has grown in participation and raises money for families of children with developmental disabilities.
25. A woman looks over Moraine Lake in Banff National Park, in the Canadian Rocky Mountains outside the village of Lake Louise, Alberta, on October 2, 2014.
26. Michael Johnson, 22, (left) and William Rountree, 22, strike a pose before joining people fighting for a minute to break the Guinness World Record for the largest pillow fight, with 4,200 pillows at the University of California in Irvine, California, on September 30, 2014.
27. Cuban-American artist Jorge Rodriguez-Gerada's six-acre sand and soil "facescape" stretches across the JFK Hockey Field on the north side of the Reflecting Pool along the National Mall in Washington, D.C., on October 1, 2014. Titled "Out of Many, One" and composed of 2,500 tons of sand, 800 tons of topsoil and eight miles of string, the piece is the artist's interpretive blending of 30 different men's faces. Rodriguez-Gereda used high-precision global positioning satellites to place 10,000 wood pegs as waypoints for the giant face. The piece will be open to the public beginning October 4 and will eventually be tilled back into the earth.
28. Barbed wire and ropes are pierced through the cheeks of a devotee of the Chinese Jui Tui Shrine during a procession celebrating the annual vegetarian festival in Phuket on September 30, 2014. The festival, featuring face-piercing, spirit mediums and strict vegetarianism celebrates the local Chinese community's belief that abstinence from meat and various stimulants during the ninth lunar month of the Chinese calendar will help them obtain good health and peace of mind.
29. A Palestinian youth practices his Parkour skills over the ruins of houses, which witnesses said were destroyed during a seven-week Israeli offensive, in the Shejaia neighborhood east of Gaza City on October 1, 2014. Some Palestinian youths aged between 13 and 17 years old, train in the devastated area as a personal initiative to develop their skills.
30. Hindu devotees perform Garba, a traditional folk dance, during the celebrations to mark the Navratri festival at Surat in the western Indian state of Gujarat on October 2, 2014. Devotees worship various forms of Hindu goddesses during the festival, whose name literally means nine nights.
31. Disabled table tennis champion Ibrahim Hamato, 37, attends a training session at a club in Domiat, northeast of Cairo on September 28, 2014. Having lost both his arms in an accident when he was 10, the Egyptian uses his mouth to control his table tennis paddle. Living by the motto "nothing is impossible as long as you work hard", Hamato, who has won various tournaments, earned an invitation to the ZEN-NOH 2014 World Team Table Tennis Championships in Tokyo.
32. Workers clear broken glass from windows at a group of companies belonging to business tycoon Tawfeek Abdo Al-Raheem, which was damaged by fighting between Shi'ite Houthi rebels and government forces, in Sanaa, Yemen, on September 28, 2014. Hundreds of Yemenis demonstrated in Sanaa on Sunday demanding that Houthi rebels who had seized control of the capital last week leave, a day after the Shi'ite Muslim fighters attacked the home of the intelligence chief.
33. A view of the United Launch Alliance Delta IV Heavy rocket in preparation for the first flight test of NASA's new Orion spacecraft at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida, on October 1, 2014. The launch vehicle was moved from the Horizontal Integration Facility to the launch pad at complex 37 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station and it is being raised to its vertical position.
34. Members of the Saudi special police unit perform during a parade in Mecca, on September 28, 2014, as more than one million Muslims arrived in the holy city in the lead-up to the annual Hajj pilgrimage.
35. A man has a portrait of actor Morgan Freeman tattooed on his leg during the annual tattoo exposition, dubbed as Dutdutan, at the World Trade Center in Manila on September 27, 2014.