1. Blind student Marina Gimaraes, of the Association of Ballet and Arts for the Blind, warms up backstage before performing "Corsario e Paquitas" during celebrations marking Brazil's Children's Day at the Italo Theater in Sao Paulo on October 12, 2014. The Association was founded by Brazilian ballerina and physiotherapist Fernanda Bianchini in 1995, when she decided to teach classical ballet to the blind for free. Since then, her classes have been opened to the deaf and mute, and even to children and youths with other handicaps. Bianchini says that the school's main goal for their students is for them to improve their posture, balance, spatial sense and self-esteem, in addition to breaking barriers and prejudices about people with handicaps.
2. Theater students take part during a protest in support of missing Ayotzinapa Teacher Training College Raul Isidro Burgos students, outside the building of the office of Mexico's Attorney General in Mexico City October 15, 2014. On September 26, police allegedly linked to a criminal gang shot dead at least three students and abducted dozens of others during clashes in the southwestern city of Iguala. Forty-three of the students are still missing.
3. Mount Sinabung spews pyroclastic smoke, seen from Tiga Pancur village on October 13, 2014 in Berastagi, Karo district, North Sumatra, Indonesia. Mount Sinabung, which has lain dormant for over 400 years, has been intermittently erupting since September 15 last year, killing 15 people and forcing hundreds to flee their homes.
4. A picture taken on October 14, 2014 shows a large explosion allegedly hitting a Syrian army military outpost in the southern part of the city of Maarat al-Numan in Idlib province. The explosion was reportedly caused by rebel fighters belonging to Ahrar al-Sham brigade of the Islamic Front coalition who dug a tunnel underneath the outpost and loaded it with explosives.
5. The Philae lander, still attached to the European Space Agency's Rosetta spacecraft, snapped a selfie at comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko from a distance of about 16 km from the surface of the comet. Philae will be deployed on November 12, landing on the comet about seven hours later.
6. A man takes part in a fashion show before participating with hundreds of other men and women walking through downtown wearing high heel shoes as part of an event called "Walk a Mile in Her Shoes" to help raise awareness of domestic violence in San Diego, California, on October 9, 2014.
7. Queen Elizabeth II visits the Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red evolving art installation at the Tower of London on October 16, 2014. 888,246 poppies will be planted in the moat by volunteers with the last poppy being planted on the 11th of November, 2014.
8. Sailing boats gather at the start of the Barcolana regatta in front of Trieste harbor on October 12, 2014. The annual Barcolana regatta in the Gulf of Trieste near northern Italy is one of the largest sailing races in the world with over 1,800 participants.
9. Revellers share a moment while they take part in the 70th Annual Columbus Day Parade in New York on October 13, 2014.
10. Activist Cornel West is knocked over in a scuffle with police during a protest at the Ferguson Police Department in Ferguson, Missouri, on October 13, 2014. Hundreds of protesters converged in the pouring rain on the Ferguson, Missouri, police department on Monday as they launched another day of demonstrations over the August killing by police of an unarmed black teenager.
11. A Colombian Army Special Forces soldier rappels with a dog in a military exercise during the visit of US Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel and Colombian Defense Minister Juan Carlos Pinzon at a military base in Tolemaida, Colombia, on October 10, 2014.
12. A member of "El Sistema" plays on a harp, as part of the "New Members" program, next to a newborn baby at a public maternity hospital in Caracas, Venezuela, on October 1, 2014. In a nation awash with guns and with one of the world's highest murder rates, Venezuela's hugely successful classical music program, called "El Sistema", has for decades sought to counteract poor children's exposure to violence with the gentle and inspiring influence of classical music. It used to only admit children aged at least 5. But under its latest "New Members" projects, hundreds of smaller infants can receive voice lessons, musical initiation with paper-made instruments, and free concerts, at its base in Caracas.
13. A woman jogs with her dog through a park during a sunny autumn day in central Sofia on October 14, 2014.
14. A man rests under a tree in front of the Alps during warm and sunny autumn weather near Muensing south of Munich, Germany, on October 12, 2014.
15. Nicolas Ivanoff of France performs during the finals for the seventh stage of the Red Bull Air Race World Championship at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway in Las Vegas, Nevada, on October 12, 2014.
16. Pro-Russian rebels fire artillery toward the Ukrainian position at Donetsk Sergey Prokofiev International Airport outskirts the city of Donetsk, eastern Ukraine, on October 14, 2014.
17. Boys play with toy guns near an area where shelling killed several people in Sartana village, on the outskirts of the town of Mariupol, eastern Ukraine, on October 15, 2014.
18. A model has her makeup done backstage during Ukrainian Fashion Week in Kiev on October 15, 2014.
19. Radical protesters clash with Interior Ministry and law enforcement members on the Day of Ukrainian Cossacks, marked by activists and supporters of the All-Ukrainian Union Svoboda (Freedom) Party and far-right activists and nationalists to honor the role of the movement in the history of Ukraine, during a rally near the parliament building in Kiev, on October 14, 2014. The protesters demanded the release of political prisoners in Ukraine.
20. Riot police officers stand guard at a main road in the Mong Kok district of Hong Kong on October 17, 2014. New scuffles broke out Friday night between Hong Kong riot police and pro-democracy activists in a district where police cleared protesters earlier in the day. The chaotic scenes unfolded hours after police moved in to clear tents, canopies and barricades at Mong Kok, a smaller protest zone across Victoria Harbor from the main occupied area in the heart of the financial district.
21. A man, bottom, jumps into the water to rescue a woman who fell due to strong waves on the Bay of Bengal coast at Gopalpur, Orissa, India, on October 12, 2014.
22. Palestinian women gesture at an Israeli man during a protest by Palestinian women against Jewish visitors to the compound known to Muslims as Noble Sanctuary and to Jews as Temple Mount in Jerusalem's Old City on October 14, 2014. The site in Jerusalem's walled Old City has seen repeated disturbances over the years over what Palestinians say are fears of an Israeli threat to the site.
23. An Israeli woman (center) and a Palestinian woman gesture at one another during a protest by Palestinian women against Jewish visitors to the compound known to Muslims as Noble Sanctuary and to Jews as Temple Mount on October 14, 2014.
24. Riders compete during the "Kings of the Off-road" quad bike amateur regional race in a Siberian boggy district near the village of Kozhany, southwest of Krasnoyarsk, on October 11, 2014.
25. Police officers gather near a pro-democracy protest in the Central district of Hong Kong on October 13, 2014.
26. A food truck crosses a pro-Russian rebel checkpoint in the town of Donetsk, Ukraine, on October 13, 2014.
27. Firefighters try to extinguish flames after the state capital building was set on fire by protesting college students in Chilpancingo, Mexico, on October 13, 2014. Hundreds of protesting teachers and students demanding answers about the 43 students who went missing on September 26 during a confrontation with police, clashed with police at the local congress and outside the state government palace Monday. Officials are attempting to determine if any of the missing students are in newly discovered mass graves.
28. Christian pilgrims from Brazil embrace after they are baptized in the water of the Jordan River during a ceremony at the Yardenit baptismal site near the northern Israeli city of Tiberias on October 15, 2014. Yardenit is one of the sites along the Jordan River where it is believed Jesus was baptized.
29. A great white heron stands on a pier as Hurricane Gonzalo approaches Fajardo, Puerto Rico, on October 13, 2014. Hurricane Gonzalo formed Monday in the Caribbean and was on course to move out over open ocean after buffeting Antigua and nearby islands with heavy rain and wind.
30. Stefan Mitrovic of Serbia grabs a flag depicting so-called Greater Albania, an area covering all parts of the Balkans where ethnic Albanians live, that was flown over the pitch during the Euro 2016 Group I qualifying soccer match between Serbia and Albania at the FK Partizan stadium in Belgrade October 14, 2014. The politically-sensitive Euro 2016 qualifier between Serbia and Albania was then abandoned following a brawl between players from both sides after the flag stunt.
31. A surfer walks from the water as a severe storm hit Sydney at Bronte Beach on October 13, 2014 in Sydney, Australia.
32. People on a motorcycle ride through a thick cloud as a fumigation truck from the Sucre municipality works to control the spread of Chikungunya and dengue fever, spread by mosquitoes, in the Petare slum district of Caracas. Medical shortages have complicated Venezuela's efforts to treat outbreaks of mosquito-borne fevers, creating long lines at pharmacies to buy analgesics and leaving the ill without ways to control the swelling joints and aching bones that the diseases cause.
33. Boys run from the blowing dust as a U.S. Marine MV-22 Osprey tiltrotor departs the site of an Ebola treatment center under construction on October 15, 2014 in Tubmanburg, Liberia. The center is the first of 17 Ebola treatment centers being built by Liberian forces under American supervision as part of Operation United Assistance to combat the Ebola epidemic.
34. Chinese commuters crowd onto a subway car on the metro during rush hour in Beijing, China, on October 16, 2014.
35. People stand on a hilltop under a tree at Khokana in Lalitpur, Nepal, on October 15, 2014.