1. Friends Aanka Batta (left) and Kelly Vaduka take a selfie in front of illuminations as they celebrate the Hindu festival of Diwali in Leicester, England, on October 23, 2014.
2. A couple stops to take a picture of the autumn colors at Loch Faskally on October 24, 2014 in Pitlochry, Scotland.
3. The Conservative Party caucus room, barricaded shortly after shooting began on Parliament Hill, in Ottawa, Ontario, on October 22, 2014. Photo taken and provided by MP Nina Grewal. A gunman, now believed to have been the only shooter, was shot and killed after a series of incidents on Wednesday near the Canadian war memorial and nearby Parliament Hill, a spokesman said. The suspect killed one soldier in the attack, Cpl. Nathan Cirillo, who was guarding the war memorial.
4. Sergeant-at-Arms Kevin Vickers is applauded in the House of Commons in Ottawa on October 23, 2014. Vickers was credited with shooting the suspect during a shooting incident October 22, in which a gunman killed a soldier and ran through Parliament shooting before being shot dead himself.
5. Students from St Andrew's University indulge in a tradition of covering themselves with foam to honor the "academic family" on October 20, 2014, in St Andrews, Scotland. Every November the "raisin weekend" which is held in the university's Lower College Lawn, is celebrated and a gift of raisins (now foam) is traditionally given by first year students to their elders as a thank you for their guidance and in exchange they receive a receipt in Latin.
6. A volunteer of the German forces Bundeswehr gets sprayed with a bleach mixture on his protective glove during training to handle the Ebola virus in Appen, Germany, on October 23, 2014.
7. Sunspots are seen on the Sun as the Moon crosses during the peak moment of a partial eclipse of the sun, as seen from the Mt. Wilson Observatory in the San Gabriel Mountains northeast of Los Angeles.
8. A US Air Force B1-B bomber plane flies above the Syrian town of Kobani, also known as Ayn al-Arab, on October 18, 2014 as seen from the Turkish border town of Suruc.
9. (1 of 4) ISIS militants stand near their flag on Tilsehir hill, in Syria, near the Turkish border on October 23, 2014, at Yumurtalik village.
10. (2 of 4) ISIS militants are caught on the edge of an air strike explosion on Tilsehir hill on October 23, 2014.
11. (3 of 4) ISIS militants are caught in an air strike on Tilsehir hill on October 23, 2014.
12. (4 of 4) Kurdish fighters stand by a flag of the People's Protection Units (YPG) on Tilsehir hill in Syria, near the Turkish border, after an air strike hours before, on October 24, 2014.
13. National Diving School director Jerome Vincent, wearing a Gandolfi space suit, trains in a swimming pool in Marseille on October 22, 2014. The underwater test session develops European expertise in spacewalk simulations in partial gravity for exploring the Moon, asteroids and Mars.
14. African migrants sit atop a border fence during an attempt to cross into Spanish territories, between Morocco and Spain's north African enclave of Melilla, as golfers play on a course in the foreground, on October 22, 2014. Around 400 migrants attempted to cross the border into Spain, according to local media.
15. A combination photograph of windows of homes destroyed after shelling in Ukraine's Donbas region during the month of October, 2014.
16. The Swedish corvette HMS Visby during a search for suspected "foreign underwater activity" in Mysingen Bay, Stockholm, on October 21, 2014. Sweden's military was working on observations that could be evidence of suspected "foreign underwater activity" near the country's capital, a senior naval officer said on Tuesday. The search has now been called off, the suspected submarine undiscovered.
17. "Dew viewer", 2014, by Olafur Eliasson part of the FIAC, the International Fair of Contemporary Art, during a presentation to the press in Paris on October 22, 2014.
18. Dancers attend a dress rehearsal for the new grand show "THE WYLD" at Friedrichstadt-Palast in Berlin, Germany.
19. The sun rises from behind the Hajjar Mountains as one of the world largest hot air balloons carries 24 passengers flying over the Margham desert about 60 km (37 mi) southeast of Dubai, United Arab Emirates, on October 21, 2014.
20. In this frame grab taken from video provided by the New York Police Department, an unidentified man approaches New York City police officers with a hatchet on October 23, 2014, in the Queens borough of New York. The man injured two with the hatchet before the other officers shot and killed him, police said. A bystander was wounded in the gunfire. Investigators were still trying to confirm the identity of the assailant and determine a motive.
21. Indian students of Delhi Public School perform yoga in Hyderabad on October 20, 2014. Nearly 5,000 students including teachers perform seven yogic postures, with religious prayers for world harmony and peace.
22. Bayern Munich's supporters cheer during their Champions League soccer match against AS Roma at the Olympic stadium in Rome on October 21, 2014.
23. Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa, stuck in a chimney, on October 20, 2014. Nunez-Figueroa tried to sneak into a house through the chimney, got stuck and had to be rescued by fire-fighters, who used dish soap to help extricate the soot-covered intruder, authorities said. The woman tried to enter the Los Angeles-area house of a man who said he met her online, and that when she got stuck she started screaming for help. Nunez-Figueroa was arrested for illegal entry and providing false information to a police officer.
24. Fog covers the Inntal valley in front of snow covered mountain summits in Tulfes, Austria, on October 24, 2014, following the first snowfall of the season the previous day.
25. Oscar Pistorius arrives outside the court in Pretoria, South Africa on October 21, 2014. Pistorius was sentenced to five years in prison for the shooting death of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.
26. Toy Lego characters depicting a scene of protesters confronting riot police, on a table outside the government headquarters in Hong Kong on October 20, 2014. A deepening sense of impasse gripped Hong Kong on Monday as pro-democracy protests entered their fourth week, with the government having limited options to end the crisis and demonstrators increasingly willing to confront police.
27. A Yemeni policeman walks on motorcycles that were seized after their owners violated a ban on motorcycles on October 20, 2014, at the police headquarters in the capital Sanaa. The day before, Yemen began enforcing a temporary ban on motorcycles in the capital to prevent blasts or attacks.
28. A man yawns in a bus as it passes a billboard displaying a scenic Chinese capital city against a construction site in Beijing on October 21, 2014.
29. An activist throws a chair towards a window at the Municipal Palace during a demonstration to demand information for the 43 missing students of the Ayotzinapa teachers' training college, in Iguala, the southern Mexican state of Guerrero, on October 22, 2014. Authorities fear that the 43 missing trainee teachers could have been massacred by police in league with gang members. The students went missing in Iguala, in the southwestern state of Guerrero on September 26 after clashing with police and masked men, and dozens of police have been arrested in connection with the case - which has sent shockwaves across Mexico. Authorities say many of the missing students were abducted by police.
30. Thick smoke and flames from an airstrike by the US-led coalition rise in Kobani, Syria, as seen from a hilltop on the outskirts of Suruc, at the Turkey-Syria border, on October 20, 2014.
31. A man holds up a paper lantern before letting it float away at the RiSE Festival near Jean, Nevada, on October 18, 2014. Thousands of people attended the festival and released paper lanterns into the sky.
32. French-made "Long Ma", a mechanical dragon horse, spews fire during a performance between the Bird's Nest National Stadium and Water Cube (at rear) in Beijing on October 19, 2014. The performance, which was attended by French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius, was held as part of celebrations of 50 years of Sino-French diplomatic relations.
33. Natanael Candido poses for a photo as he stands in the entrance to his house in a poor neighborhood in the outskirts of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on October 20, 2014.
34. A woman (center) who had called for pro-democracy protesters to leave, and was being jeered at by the crowd as she shouted at them about Chinese history, is reflected in a mirror held up by activists in the Admiralty district of Hong Kong on October 21, 2014.
35. Traditional Sri Lankan Puppets belonging to puppeteer Premin hang backstage before a puppet show in Colombo on October 18, 2014. Puppet shows have become less popular since the 1980s, and it is becoming increasingly difficult to make a living as a puppeteer, according to Premin. He believes the puppeteer profession is facing a natural death, due to new technology and westernization.